Can anyone recommend me some funk music?

Oh yeah. *smacks my head* I blame disco on cocaine. Oddly enough I've heard some really early disco (or what could be classified as disco) from about 73' - 75' and it was actually respectable, and then it started making money. And like everything that has money thrown at it, it becomes very watered down and formulaic.

It's amazing what the disco era did to groups like the Bee Gees, who started out on the folk side of things. Even they admitted they never expected it to happen like that, or that they would be so successful at disco. I abhorred disco as a teenager, but looking back, especially as you mentioned some of the early stuff, wasn't all that bad. And as monotonous as some disco sounds, at least most of it was recorded with real drums. Which cannot be said about today's pop music.

If you listen to a song like Disco Inferno from the Saturday Night Fever sound track, you certainly could say that it is long (14 minutes, I think) and boring, or you could say that the drummer did a good job of keeping the groove for such a long time, and stayed tight and consistent on the hats the whole time. I'd probably lose my concentration after about 5 minutes on a song like that.

I'm not huge into funk music, but check out the New York Funk Exchange. They played at my cousins wedding and they were pretty damn good I think

How in the hell am I the first person to mention Tower of Power? CMON PEOPLE!
But ya check out there self titled ablum. Amazing

The OP mentioned TOP. (A number of people recommended bands the OP mentioned. People need to actually read posts before responding)

I am answering on my phone so must keep this short. Liquid soul is a cool band in Chicago worth checking out.

In a couple of days I will answer this question in depth while at a pc.

And speaking of TOP, get the 40th anniverary CD/DVD. It is great.

Sly and the family stones for sure.

Also check out Herbie Hancock. He is considered a jazz artist, but I think the work (especially the drumming) on two of his most notable albums draws on a lot of funk and fusion. These two albums are "The Headhunters" (With Harvey Mason) and "Thrust" (Mike Clark). Check em out.

The band Garaj Mahal are simply brilliant! I discovered them recently.

And of course any Dennis Chambers work (e.g. with John Scofield, CAB, niacin).

Back