Throne balance

TheGrandTr0ll

Here recently I've been trying to learn heel up but its been a little difficult due to balance issues. Ive tried different heights and positioning on the throne but I cant seem to fix it. Is balance something you have to acquire over time or should it be something that happens naturally?

Yes, it takes time. But as always, the learning process can be accelerated by being aware of the problem. I've been experimenting with my seating position (throne height, throne distance to the pedals/bass drum, but also where I'm exactly sitting on the throne) for months and I still haven't found where I feel super comfy.

I can recommend Derek Roddy's "Blast Beats Evolved" because balance is an important topic on that tutorial and Derek shows lots of exercises to work specifically on getting balanced on the throne - as you might know, this is quite important for double bass drumming but any drummer will benefit from good throne balance.

Also, good core/trunk muscles help. You could do some abdomen or core muscle exercises.

Throne size helps a lot in the matter. If you're large, you need more surface area so your legs are supported. Don't get me wrong, balance is a huge factor also, but thone size will also go a long way! I've been given to understand that the motorcycle style thrones are a part of this logic. So if you're having a lot of difficulty, I'd look into a bigger throne seat.

Being off balance or not totally comfortable with the position of your throne might not be the entire problem.

If you are using a double pedal, I suggest at first just getting used to heel up with one pedal. Unless I'm doing straight quarter/eighth notes or heel/toe splashes I'll usually keep my foot pretty flat on the high hat.

Check the spring tension on your pedal too, with your heel up and resting on the footboard the beater should still be off the head enough to make a stroke. You can also vary how much pressure is on the footboard by changing the angle that your ankle is at, moving your heel closer or further away from the heel plate.

Throne height and position can have an ideal ergonomic setting but some of this is preference based on what techniques you frequently use and what kind of feeling you like. Personally, my throne and pedals are probably further away than some drummers would like but it's an equilibrium, little things here and there balance out to make it right for me.

Thanks for the advice guys. Right now Im not doing any double bass stuff, mainly just hi hat and bass stuff, but Ill give some of this stuff a try.

Balance really has never been an issue for me, or anyone I've drummed with.

Are you trying to play heel up without burying the beater?? Thats the only way I see balance coming up as a real issue.

Another factor to consider..

Trying setting your hi hat (or double-kick) pedal, kick pedal, and throne in a perfect equilateral triangle formation. This provides a large tripod effect and should help with your balance.

I have Matt Ritter to thank for that suggestion and it has helped my balance when playing busy hi-hat and single-kick patterns.

Maybe I'm crazy for doing this, but I tend to play heel down on the hi-hat, but heel up on the kick pedal - or on the left pedal when doing double bass. I've found that I don't really have balance issues either way, but digging that left heel in for my hi-hat really helps my right foot to dance a bit.

Also, I can certainly say that throne height, throne quality, and foot positioning all have a lot to do with balance - and I also find that without that good basic balance at the foundation of everything, you might as well tie one arm behind your back too.

I've played on a couple of other drummers' kits in the last year or so where the throne was sketchy (one, the seat felt like it was about to come off!) - and it pretty much was all I could do to just get through a few songs. If you're making it by with some makeshift throne, or the bargain 29.99 special, it might be time to consider moving on up.

Balance really has never been an issue for me, or anyone I've drummed with.

Are you trying to play heel up without burying the beater?? Thats the only way I see balance coming up as a real issue.

I can never get my drum throne positioned right where I want it (heightwise). I was just wondering what is a typical height for drum thrones. I usually have mine pretty close to even with my snare drum

Just had the importance of throne height underscored for me last night. I played someone else's kit on very short notice, which is something that I literally *never* do. I haven't moved my throne height in many, many years, and I'm completely accustomed to the way my kit fits me. Trying to play from their throne, which was probably three inches lower than I'm used to, was absolutely *brutal*: they are 5'5", I'm 6'1".... I had no balance, couldn't do much more than the absolute minimal straight 4 with the kick, couldn't get my heel to hover the way I prefer, and ended up a 3 hour evening with nasty cramps in the small of my back, especially on the right side. I'm still feeling it this morning, in fact. This "getting old" thing is getting old...

*Never again*. I could easily accommodate the different placement of the drums and cymbals, different pedal settings, and so on- but not the throne height. Next time I'm going into a situation where that might even be a possibility, I'll take my own throne. I'm seriously considering buying a spare throne, setting it up correctly, and just leaving it in the truck, just in case.

I remember how long it took to get the right height, and how good it felt after I did. It really is a very critical adjustment. A quarter of an inch either way can negatively impact your balance and control. It is worth setting out on a focused campaign to find your personal sweet spot- and it is radically different for every drummer. I personally recall starting out high, and migrating lower a quarter inch at a time until I found the feel I wanted (on an old Rogers thin-padded round throne). When I changed to the Roc-n-soc bicycle seat way back, I dropped it about another quarter inch to make up for the thicker padding.

Your milage may vary: but for this old creaky chassis, it makes all the difference in the world....

Last edited:
Back