A dumb question about mesh heads...

CCdrummer

Hi

I am going for the ultimate in silent practice. (Hmmm, I guess you might call "ultimate" and "silent practice" an oxymoron, but anyway...)

I have decided to go with the pearl mesh heads on my acoustic kit. I considered Hart, some reviews claimed they were superior in feel and durability but also over twice as much so I thought I would give the pearls a go first.

I was wondering what the effect on volume would be of removing the resonant heads on my toms and bass drum. I am assuming it would cut down on resonance, and therefore overall volume as well.

Your opinions/experience? Any other tips on silent practice would also be appreciated. I have searched this topic and read a bunch of threads on it, without really coming up with a clear consensus.

Thanks

The most silent play while using mesh heads would be with the resos removed. The mesh heads will wear out depending on type of play and use. Experiment, you may wan't some sound from the resos if you put mesh heads on the batters. Removing the bottom heads from drums with standard batter heads will not silence the drums.
You can find the mesh heads used when they need replacement. I see them frequently for sale from people that got them with a Rhythm Traveler kit and never used them.
PM Me and I will sell you mine if you want to try them cheaply. I have a 10, 12, 13, 14, and a 20 inch from an RT kit, Never been used.

Last edited:
The sound resulting from playing a mesh head with a reso still installed is minimal. Tapping a real batter head with your finger is about the same volume. It's also much quieter than playing with the neoprene head silencers (such as Soundoffs). Unless you're playing in the same room with someone who is trying to sleep, I don't think it will be a problem for you.

Hi

I am going for the ultimate in silent practice. (Hmmm, I guess you might call "ultimate" and "silent practice" an oxymoron, but anyway...)

I have decided to go with the pearl mesh heads on my acoustic kit. I considered Hart, some reviews claimed they were superior in feel and durability but also over twice as much so I thought I would give the pearls a go first.

I was wondering what the effect on volume would be of removing the resonant heads on my toms and bass drum. I am assuming it would cut down on resonance, and therefore overall volume as well.

Your opinions/experience? Any other tips on silent practice would also be appreciated. I have searched this topic and read a bunch of threads on it, without really coming up with a clear consensus.

Thanks

I'd leave the reso's on when you put the mesh heads on, no need to hassle taking them off.

Drop a wash cloth in the toms and snare (ontop the reso's) if you need ultimate quite, otherwise the reso's intact ad a little tone to the mesh heads.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Bob, I would have taken you up on your offer, but I have already ordered them from somewhere else.

Thanks again

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Bob, I would have taken you up on your offer, but I have already ordered them from somewhere else.

Thanks again

... and don't forget CCdrummer, there's no such thing as a dumb question on the DW forum. Answers are known to be a little suspect at times, but no dumb questions.

Back