DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 03-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Brilliant Or Traditional Finish?

I think the traditional/natural finish breathe better, so you get a bit more body.

Or perhaps it's an illusion because you get a bit more highs from the brilliant cymbals.

I prefer the traditional ones overall but I own and like some brilliant cymbals too.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 AM
The SunDog

I use traditional because when I polish them they return to new. Brilliant cymbals eventually end up with fingerprints permanently in the finish. Unless you clean your cymbals after every use, or purchase a polishing kit that has three stages requires a drill and removes the logos as it polished. So always traditional for me. I recently learned though that when you polish traditional cymbals you decrease their mass a little each time (all that black stuff on the cloth is actually bronze), and that they have a shorter life if you clean them a lot, compared to brilliant. This from Neil Pearts drum tech (regarding his switch to brilliant).
Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorguy1 View Post
thanks guys. Im really keen on the zildjian k custom. any of you have much experience with those?
me myself is a A custom guy but K series seems combine all different cymbal sound
Old 03-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Taken straight from SABIAN's FAQ section of their Vault Custom Shop Page:

"Sounds: While looks differ greatly, sounds between 'Natural' and 'Brilliant' cymbals may differ only slightly, if at all. The high-pressure buffing removes a very thin layer of metal (a 16" cymbal may shed approx. 1 to 2 ounces), but this has little if any noticeable effect on the sound. The possibility of difference has more to do with the surface of the cymbal being smoothed by the friction created by the pressure of the buffing. If the cymbal is lathed, the buffing will smooth the high edges of the grooves, rounding them off and thereby reducing the depth of each groove. Because sound vibrations move through the grooves, from the low valleys to the high peaks (where they generate the 'lows' and 'highs' that comprise the tone), smoothing the groove 'peaks' creates a smoother, glassier, even warmer response. The degree of sound difference - often only minimal - varies from cymbal to cymbal, yet many players do make their choice based on this difference... and the 'Natural' or 'Brilliant' looks of the cymbal."

My input is that as a jazz player, having a brilliant finish is unappealing to me personally because of the glassiness of the tone. However, having a warmer sound would actually make the brilliant finish slightly MORE appealing. I like a traditional aesthetic better-- I know that. I'll also attest to the fact that my HHX Stage Ride in Brilliant Finish has touches of both glassiness and warmth. I'm emailing SABIAN right now to see if their Custom Shop has any ways to de-apply the brilliant finish.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

I've always found that I prefer brilliant finished crashes and traditional for rides, splashes and hats. There's more of a dry sound to the traditional finish versus the glassy/wet sound of the brilliant. It could be all in my head but I've chosen my cymbals purely based on sound and that's where I've ended up.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post
I've always found that I prefer brilliant finished crashes and traditional for rides, splashes and hats. There's more of a dry sound to the traditional finish versus the glassy/wet sound of the brilliant. It could be all in my head but I've chosen my cymbals purely based on sound and that's where I've ended up.
I'm with ya on the hats and ride. I like a traditional finish on those without question really. I can go either way on crashes with maybe a slight lean towards brilliant.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:27 AM

Some claim that the brilliant version of a cymbal is slightly brighter on the top than the same cymbal in a traditional lathed finish. I think that's only if you listen very deeply in side by side comparison. For me, lathed cymbals - whether they be just lathed. or lathed and polished to be brilliant, are more pingy on the stick texture and more shimmering on the crash characteristics. Unlathed or raw finishes usually have a less defined stick sound, and are drier and have a narrower range of overtones in the wash, and of those overtones, they lean to being darker sounding than lathed. The unlathed cymbals for me are my preferred style for jazz work rides, that darker, smokier wash that doesn't try to land on any particular key. Crashes on the other hand I tend to like a full body attack, not one with all top-end shimmer and no bottom to it.
So I find lathed cymbals to be brighter, polished to be a touch brighter still.