DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 11-01-2008, 02:12 PM

Default How To Sell Crap Cymbals

Hey guys !! (First post)

I got my first kit about 2 years ago and it didnt come with any cymbals
so my dad not knowing if i was gonna stay a drummer, he brought me some crappy
cymbals (Plantet Z's.) I didn't care at the time i didn't know what was good or not
so they served me well but it came i time when i really got into drums and i saved up and brought some mid (ish) range of cymbals, A set of Zildjian ZHT pro's and i love em !!

So i swaped them around and im left with a set of Planet Z's. I went to my nearest music shop and they said if i cleaned them up about 20 - 30 pounds i thought o..k, So i went to cash Converters (lol) but they said i needed to bring them so they could have a look but i coud trade them in and get some money off anything else. So i asked them if they could get a cymbal in and have the money off that and they said yes.

But the thing is i don't know if i should put em on ebay (I don't know how much they would get !!) or take em to cash converters OR go to that music shop, Which one would get me a better deal

Help !!

Thanks Alot
Old 11-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: How To Sell Crap Cymbals

Well you could always check on e-bay and see how much they've been selling for there. But then you have to ask yourself is it worth the hassle and commission you'll pay to e-bay. Personally I'd take them some place local and whatever I get for them is what I get.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Well I have checked but there aint many second hand sets going there are lots of indervidual cymbals but if i sell one cymbal (say the ride) I couldn't sell it as a set again becuase im losing the main part of a set

Thankyou for your reply!!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Did you check with your local classifieds? I'd try there before you go the ebay route.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

To be realistic, these "cymbals" are not very good. If I were you I would have cleaned them up and traded them in at the music shop. If you do that, they can probably knock 30 of a good cymbal as a trade. I think ebay, on the other hand, will get you 10 each for the hats and the ride. And ebay is a lot of hassle if you consider the fee, the listing, the pics, the emails back and forth, and the shipping it self.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:39 PM

i would sell them locally. i sold crap cymbals and people were looking specifically for crap cymbals for a few reasons:
-to use in a garage practice space that had crappy gear as well since the moisture/humidity levels in there were high (rains a lot here in Vancouver!)
-because they had 2 projects and therefore 2 drumkits at 2 separate spaces and they didn't own enough nice cymbals or didn't use one space more than the other (that's why i keep backup crappy cymbals)
-some people want any cymbal for an art/music project and don't want to spend lots of $$
-to wear their crappy cymbals during practice and use the nice ones for shows only (i personally like hearing my nice cymbals at all times)

so all in all, you may find buyers more locally than eBay...good luck with what you decide to do with them, but i just might keep them if they don't fetch enough pocket cash because you never know what circumstances or projects will come along
Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 PM
ThisSpitefulSnake

Trade them in to Saluda for their cymbals. That's what I did and trust me, they are really good cymbals. You'll probably have to pay a little money too, but it's worth it and still cheaper than other brands.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

2 directions you might go:

First, is there anything you want or need now? If so, selling them to a music store or pawn shop might get you a better deal on a cymbal, stand, sticks, heads, or anything else you might need. I wouldn't expect to get much out of them going this route, but if they're in the way, having them gone might be worth more to you.

If you don't want or need anything *right now*, you might throw them up on Craigslist and see if they sell. You'll make more off of there than by selling/trading them to a store, but you'll also have to wait until that buyer comes along (my Ludwig set has been sitting on CL since the beginning of October- couple of nibbles, but no bites yet).
Old 11-07-2008, 08:12 PM

Thanks guys really good advice
i will probably go the local route !!!

cheers