Which do prefer ?

I have Evans heads on my kit. There is nothing wrong with other brands. You needs to experiment and find the sound you're looking for. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of the heads you listed.

I like something from each company.
I use many different heads for many different reasons.
I like the vast amount of choices that are available today in drumheads.

I prefer Remo, but if my store runs out of them, I'll just buy Evans, no problem, they'se great quality heads.

For the above reason, right now, for instance, I run Coated Emperors on toms and bass, and a Coated G1/Hazy300 combo on my snare. Sounds great.

Never tried Aquarian.

Cheers!

I use Remo heads on one of my kits and Evans on the others.

Dennis

All three are good, and I prefer Evans. I can get the sound I want when using Evans heads, and I like Evans's quality. Peace and goodwill.

I go back and forth between remo and evans. I like the tone of evans, but they don't last long for me, and the remo heads last longer, but don't have the same tone. They don't sound band, I just like the evans. I have never been really impressed with anything from aquarian. I have tried a few and I HATE performance 2s.

For Toms, I prefer the Aquarian Focus-X coated. For the Kick drum, Ive not tried the Aquarian yet but I will on the next head change but right now, Im using an Evans EMAD coated on the batter and a ported reso.
On the snare, I am currently using the Aquarian Jack Dejohnette coated.

The drum kit is a Yamaha 5 piece Oak Custom shell pack with a Pearl 14 x 6 1/2 Free Floating Copper shell snare.

The sticks I play are the Pro-Mark 727 wood tip Oak sticks.

I use a mix of all three - Evans for the snare, Aquarian for the bass, Remo for the toms. Pick and choose and see what you like best!

I tried all three. Grew up on Remo. I got to the point where I know what works so I just keep buying it. Oddly enough, the heads always stay the same. The drums always change. Go figure.

For me it all comes down to sound, not brand. Whoever makes the sound I need that's where I go. Right now it's a complete mix of Evans, Aquarian, and Remo.

I have an Evans EQ1 on the front of the bass drum, batter switches between Aquarian Impact or an Evans EQ2 if I want a little more boom. Right now it's the Impact. If I need even less sustain I use the stock Powerstroke 3 front with a small hole.

If I'm playing a lot of rock and need focused and punchy my toms get EC2s over EC Resos. When I'm feeling more traditional I use Aquarian Modern Vintage top and bottom.

Snare batter is a Remo Skyntone with an Evans Genera 200 snare side. I love the Skyntone and now that they're available in tom tom sizes I might have to try those too.

All personal choices, but I always liked Evans on toms, Attack on my snare, and Aquarian on my bass.

Remo!!!! Love the tone it's just right up my alley. All's I can say is that when I hit my rack tom (coated Emperor over coated Ambassador) I smile!!! With Evans or Aquarian, I still smile, just not as big! But I do love Superkick 2's. That is definitely one sweet kick drum head.

Remo is my favorite, Evans next, and Aquarian a distant third. I know it is all personal preference, but I haven't found anything Aquarian does that Evans and Remo don't do better. $.02

I use started using Remo because all my favourite drums ounds came from Remo. (Think Buddy, Bonzo, and Ringo)
And thanks be, they turned out to be very awesome and versatile, and I've found the perfect sound that I wanted.

I am using a set of Remo Fiberskyns at the moment but only because Evans currently doesn't make them. And only for looks Beyond that it's Evans all the way. G2 coated on my tom heads, G1 clears for the resos. HD heads on the snares with hazy 300 snare side.

Played Remos for about 10 years then switched to Evans. I bought a snare that had an Evans head on it, and I liked it so much I made the switch and have never looked back. All three companies make excellent quality heads, I just prefer Evans.

tried them all but keep coming back to aquarian, they last longer and are lower priced, plus they make a couple models that have no equivalent in the remo and evens lines

BTW: Im in Canada and get Aquarian from Long and Mcquade but i see that Music 123 carries them and has free shipping in the USA.

Last edited:
Back