Holy Grail of Drum Kits?

nightraider43

If you were searching and could own only one drum kit, being the Holy Grail of drum kits, what would it be and why? Would it be the rarity of it? Sound? Woods? Previous owner? Cost? I'm sure there will be lots of different answers but I really would like to see what everyone thinks on this topic.

Me, being a HUGE AC/DC fan, I would love Phil Rudd's Sonor kit he used in the late 70's. Or maybe Keep it Simple can deliver me some of those phenomenal Guru drums : )

I would disagree Artstar. I think there is a big difference between the Holy Grail and the Ultimate Drumset. The Gibson 1958 Korina Flying "V" S/N 00000001 would be the Holy Grail of electric guitars to many. John Bonham's kit used in studio for Led Zep I may be the Holy Grail for many drummers vs maybe someone's ultimate set up being a DW Collectors 7 pc with all their dream cymbals and so forth. So yeah, there is a big difference in my eyes.

For me, it's Guru. It's the design. Apart from Peavy Radial's, which I'm pretty sure are out of production, no one offers anything even close that can touch the Origin design and tone.

After dropping $5,800 USD on a set of DW's in 2008, I swore I'd never drop that kind of dough on a drumset anymore. But then Guru surfaced. They made a design that I had in my head since about 2009. One that employed an outer re-ring and that had no metal on the resonating portion of the shell. When Andy shared his Origin construction specs here, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. This was my recipe for the ultimate drum construction too! Of course Andy took it much farther than I had imagined. Seeing that Andy had basically brought to life something that I had imagined in my head...out of my own curiosity, I had to have a set. Then after hearing the vids he posted...well that sealed the deal for me.

I can't wait to do a side by side with my DW's that have about 5 lbs of metal attached to the thin shell. I expect a huge tonal difference.

Steve Gadd's kit from the 70's/80's. Or any of his contemporaries' sets within his genre, really. That sound is legendary.

This would be mine. I can only dream though since I could never afford this.

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/gretsch-1812144x14-round-badge-drum-blue-sparkle-p-5809.html

My tastes are pretty simple, so almost this same kit as BOTH my grail and ultimate kit. But I'd go with a 20" kick and pick burgundy sparkle OR anniversary sparkle instead.

I've always said if I had a time machine I'd go back to the early 60's and buy a 'new' Gretsch kit. =) With all the stuff we love now, wouldn't it be crazy to go back and order a kit in the rare colors and sizes we want??

I don't know such a thing exist. So many variables.

But if I had to answer something:

The exact kit Ringo used on the Ed Sullivan show.

Think of how much that would sell for! haha.

I think you have to catagorize between a collectable kit,that is valuable or in some cases"holy grail" valuable.Then there are some drums made to gig,and that includes vintage drums.

Right now,Steve Maxwell is selling a kit that was owned by Bun E Carlos and is now owned by Carl Palmer,on consignment.Celebrity owned,and plenty of provanance.

It is one of only three that exist and was built by Billy Gladstone.The price is 165,000 US dollars.......yes 165,000.That's not a typo.

Can you gig this kit ?Better still,considering the price,should you gig this kit?A Holy Grail drum set....no doubt in my mind.

But if I can afford 165 K for a single set,then I can afford......lots of drums.

DrunEatDrum ,brings up the Ringo Ed Sullivan kit.Most collectors I know,and members on other forums I know,who are knowledgeable drummers and collectors all seem to agree,that that kit would go for over a million dollars.........easily.

Now you migh say...thats crazy,I like my drums,but the're just tools...bla bla bla.,But there's plenty of those that will disargee....myself among them,when it comes to vintage drums.

There are some drums that have unusual musical and historical significance,and personal needs are transient.

So,If I were to have one set of drums,there would have to be a set in each different catagory.

Is it a smart idea to gig a Gladstone or real actual 64 Ringo Ludwig kit,owned by Ringo,on a regular basis ? I think the answer is obvious.

Steve B

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess after all of the further clarification between "Ultimate" and "Holy Grail" drumsets, I do see the difference. A holy grail kit might not be something you'd actually want to play, but put up on a pedestal. For that, I'd probably choose either Neil Peart's Counterparts kit or Phil Collins' Lamb Lies Down on Broadway kit. Both very cool, very special and specific kits, and nothing I'd actually want to play myself.

hmmmm all things combined, and for collector value, I'd say John Bonham's original Ludwig Green Sparkle. There were two. I'd say the 13-16-18-24 one used for recording Led Zep III onward.

"Ultimate"' kit for me would be one that sounds perfect for the music and looks good and is paid for and is easy to transport.

Holy-Grail would probably be Buddy's last kit, his Radio King's he toured with before passing.

My tastes are pretty simple, so almost this same kit as BOTH my grail and ultimate kit. But I'd go with a 20" kick and pick burgundy sparkle OR anniversary sparkle instead.

I've always said if I had a time machine I'd go back to the early 60's and buy a 'new' Gretsch kit. =) With all the stuff we love now, wouldn't it be crazy to go back and order a kit in the rare colors and sizes we want??

Yes, it would be crazy. Along with that thought, I'd be super wealthy.........

"Ultimate"' kit for me would be one that sounds perfect for the music and looks good and is paid for and is easy to transport.

^ This!!!!

The holy Grail would be a kit that sounded and performed like a top of the line Yamaha/Premier/Gretsch/etc, but folded up easily enough to be carried all at one with one hand!

OK, maybe that's not the holy grail as much as wishful thinking! lol.

hmmmm all things combined, and for collector value, I'd say John Bonham's original Ludwig Green Sparkle. There were two. I'd say the 13-16-18-24 one used for recording Led Zep III onward.

This, or his amber vistalites from 1973

Back