Alternatives to Steve Gadd signature sticks

matskeaping

Hi All. This is my first time on the forum, so I'm very excited to see what you think about my dilemma. I love playing the Vic Firth Gadd signature sticks. Their weight, balance and dimensions are perfect for me, but they make too much of a clanging sound with their almost square, clunky beads. I use trashy cymbals like Istanbul 30th edition ride, and old K's. More ping and definition is what I'm after without compromising the feel of the stick in my hand. Any alternatives out there? Many thanks in advance! Matt

Have you tried using the nylon tip version of the Gadd stick? It sounds like that's what you are looking for.

Hi Brady: yep, thanks. I'm kind of particular!! I like the sound of wood as opposed to nylon, but more of a pingy more defined sound! Thanks for the suggestion though. Matt

Welcome!
There are a few sticks from Vater, that are pretty much matches for a lot of VF sticks.
Check out their site, or a catalog. They may have something with a rounder tip with other same dimensions as the Gadd stick.

The Gadd stick is shorter than 16" also, which may be part of what you like. There are other shorter sticks out there too.

Good luck!

Vic Firth 5A or the Dave Weckl Evolution should do it.

Vic Firth 5A or the Dave Weckl Evolution should do it.

Try a pair of VF Keith Carlock sticks. The feel and weight are similar (to me). The small tip may stun you, but man they sound good on cymbals.

Back