Where to download or buy drum sheet music

benyyo

Hi there, i'm just about to join a professional covers band. The rest of the band all play along to sheet music and insist i do too. I have found a few of the 50 songs online and i brought a few. But the other 30 odd i can't seem to find. They said there other drummers they used found it ok. Can anyone here help me? Thanks.

Hi there, i'm just about to join a professional covers band. The rest of the band all play along to sheet music and insist i do too. I have found a few of the 50 songs online and i brought a few. But the other 30 odd i can't seem to find. They said there other drummers they used found it ok. Can anyone here help me? Thanks.

If you are joining a band that reads charts, THEY should supply the charts. It just makes me wonder how professional they are.

Jeff

Last edited:
If you are joining a band that reads charts, THEY should supply the charts. It just makes me wonder how professional they are.

It's rather strange. Benyyo, you can't just buy any old sheet music that has the name of the tune you want on it- you have to use the same arrangement as the rest of the band. You need to have a talk with your bandleader about this.

It's rather strange. Benyyo, you can't just buy any old sheet music that has the name of the tune you want on it- you have to use the same arrangement as the rest of the band. You need to have a talk with your bandleader about this.

Yes, exactly. The OP said that I didn't answer his question, but he/she needs to realize that this is a very unusual situation. Most drum transcriptions are either scattered on websites, in back issues of Modern Drummer, or available in books (see www.steveweissmusic.com ). But Todd is correct, you need the same arrangement, especially the endings. My suggestion are:

1. Buy the charts off of the old drummer
2. Transcribe the songs and add the endings the band uses.
3. Read off of a rhythm section lead sheet which the band members should already have
4. Ask the band to be patient while you are in the process, since their method of doing things is so out of the ordinary.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi there,

If you're looking for specific instrument i.e. drum, I recommend www.musicforte.com . You will be pleased to know they provide you great offers and warranty on their product. You can pay with a credit card and print the music out right away. It also allows allow creating a version of the song specific to individual’s taste. Also you can get full version, downloadable, printable, high quality, no-cost sheet music of different genres as well.

Yes, exactly. The OP said that I didn't answer his question, but he/she needs to realize that this is a very unusual situation. Most drum transcriptions are either scattered on websites, in back issues of Modern Drummer, or available in books (see www.steveweissmusic.com ). But Todd is correct, you need the same arrangement, especially the endings. My suggestion are:

1. Buy the charts off of the old drummer
2. Transcribe the songs and add the endings the band uses.
3. Read off of a rhythm section lead sheet which the band members should already have
4. Ask the band to be patient while you are in the process, since their method of doing things is so out of the ordinary.

Jeff
I have a tryout this weekend. I have been slowly getting the songs on my iPod and using youtube as a source to chart the songs. I just found two different intro's for Never Been Any Reason by Head East. The one I initially used to chart the song had a 7 bar intro. The one I added to my iPod has an 11 bar intro. WTF! At any rate I support your comments here.

Yes, exactly. The OP said that I didn't answer his question, but he/she needs to realize that this is a very unusual situation.

Jeff, it's just not that unusual anymore. The situation where the bandleader supplies the charts -- that idea is becoming more and more unusual (welcome to the olden days!). While big bands and horn sections becoming more and more uncommon and unaffordable, charts are rare.

It's rather interesting to hear that a cover band is insisting that members make their own charts. It's very easy to share the proper versions via the internet (you don't even have to attach mp3s, just a link will do). I think the cover band wants to ensure that all band members show up to rehearsal having done their homework, which is, in its own way, professional.

Of course a big band or larger function band will need to use charts, but this is not that gig. Drawing a bunch of slashes and chord symbols for a younger professional who can't (or won't) read won't help, either. But you can still hire a young player without much reading chops, provided he can play well and shows up knowing the tunes to a high level of detail. Demanding the he write his own charts ensures those two requirements, more or less.

And yes, endings and possible key changes will need to be worked out at rehearsal. You can voice memo the whole set list and have a record of how the ending go, in addition to writing them out.

Jeff, it's just not that unusual anymore. The situation where the bandleader supplies the charts -- that idea is becoming more and more unusual (welcome to the olden days!). While big bands and horn sections becoming more and more uncommon and unaffordable, charts are rare...

You are correct that smaller bands (playing rock, country or contemporary music) usually do not use charts supplied by the leader (or any charts at all). You are also correct that the specific situation the original poster outlined is very rare.

If the leader asked the band members to purchase sheet music, he/she would have to designate what arrangement to buy (as Todd mentioned). Many songs fade out on the recording. As I mentioned, the endings of songs are extremely important. If that is just figured out in rehearsal, why have the members all go out and find charts that may or may not work with the other instruments?

It is just weird for the bandleader to say "go out and buy sheet music" without directing the members to a specific source or arrangement. At least having the members all reading off of a rhythm section lead sheet would keep everyone on the same page.

Jeff

Here are a few places I use for drum transcriptions, all have a good chunk of free stuff.
Drumscore.com
JKdrumsolutions.com
Roelvanhelden.com (look under drum lessons section)
Onlinedrummer.com
Thedrumninja.com
gigging-drum-charts.com
http://tomaschmura.com/o_souprava.htm
http://www.drumsandco.com/partitions.php

And occasionally, I'll use the Ttabs.com site for the tabs, but they have their limitations since they are not actual transcriptions. They are good for getting the song framework, though. Not matter what group you play in, there are going to be songs that really don't have charts available. In that case, you may consider hiring Dan @ drumscores.com , or John @ Jkdrumsolutions, transcribe it for you if your strapped for time.
This has helped me learn 50+ cover songs with multiple bands. Good luck!

What are the charts you still need..?

I assume that the original poster isn't around here anymore since the last login for him is August of 2011 (the day he asked the question). It seems like the post was bumped last week by someone advertising a sheet music site.

Jeff

Back