Falam Slam Bass Drum Pad

Robby77

To Falam Slam or not?

Hi everyone, just wondering...should I put on a Falam Slam Bass Drum Pad on my new DW bass drum or play clean. The patch should give the bass drum head longer life but will it really improve the sound?

I used to use one on my Pearl Masters bass drum. They cost about £12 for two on ebay.

Also my bass drum is slowly getting marked on the wooden hoop where the bass drum pedal attaches. Any tips on protecting the wood - what do you use?

Thanks in advance...

Robbie

I folded over a piece of felt cloth a couple of times and wedged it in between the hoop and pedal clamp.

Regarding your slam patch conundrum, stick it on there using some scotch or masking tape and see if you like the sound and feel. And have some one play the bass drum while you stand out in front of to hear the sound as well. Try that before you peel the backing off and permanently apply that patch to your head.

Or you can DIY hoop saver with a small peice of cardboard & some electrical tape. I use the Evans beater patches on my kicks. Soundwise, it depends on what you are going for/ what beater you use.

Do want clicky sounding bd, low thump, long boom, etc. For me, the most rounded tone is a felt beater w/ a polyester pad.

I like the Falam patches, they work great, feel great, and don't change the sound of the head. I've got a 22" PS3 that has lasted about 3 yrs. and still sounds as good as when I first bought it. The patch works!

I like the Falam patches, they work great, feel great, and don't change the sound of the head. I've got a 22" PS3 that has lasted about 3 yrs. and still sounds as good as when I first bought it. The patch works!

+1

I've read a few posts here where guys think that they produce a "clicky" sound on the attack, but personally I've noticed very little difference. I do tend to favour a felt beater though, so perhaps a wooden or plastic beater may enhance the 'click'. For mine, any difference in the sound is outweighed by the longevity they give your BD head.

+2

Like Pocket, I also use the felt part of the beater. I remember when I first put the patch on it seemed to focus the sound of the drum slightly. Other than that, it adds an extra layer of durability which is always nice.

+3. I can't imagine not using one (or the Evans equivalent) on a kick head. They really take the blows and save the head. I can't remember the last time I broke a BD head (except for on another guy's kit who didn't use one). I use felt beaters, too.

Haha +4 here... Been using the Falam Slam / PS3 combo for years with a felt beater... heads seem to last forever that way - and they sound great too!

Thanks guys,

I've been sold, falam slam it is. Now got to find a sure fire way to protect the bass drum hoop.

Thanks guys,

I've been sold, falam slam it is. Now got to find a sure fire way to protect the bass drum hoop.

Fold a piece of felt in half and put it between the pedal clamp and the hoop. Or, if you don't mind something permanent - some adhesive "grip tape" on the hoop.

+1 for using the Falam Slam whenever using wood beaters.

I've never split a bass drum head, and I used wood beaters in loud bands for years.

hey guys,

this thread was really timely as i've just put a 22" coated emperor on my kick (14x22 3ply maple 70's Ludwig+Iron cobra single) and im finding the Falam Slam troublesome...

the head has given me the tone i wanted with how i have tuned it, warm and open but punchy (one vertical felt strip on the reso pitched higher no felt on the batter) but in order to save the life of the head i tried out the Falam first with some tape and i was really surprised the difference, just not immediately in a good way!

to me the Falam actually cut the tone/resonance and changed the over all volume potential of the drum.i had to drive the beater that bit harder to get the punch. it sounded just that little bit more dampened (perhaps i shouldnt be surprised?). im currently experimenting with finding an alternative as i want to retain the head's characteristics as much as i can but gain the durability! does it have to be a trade off??

now, im aware there's heaps of variables here as in the room acoustics/beaters/size of drum/reso head etc BUT it may be worth noting for some the Falam's dampening qualities when you are looking for an airier drum sound.

il report back if i come up with a solution.

Zambizzi, i read your recent experience with a similar head and kick combination right?... any thoughts?? i want that punch! just not a dead tone lol

for my hoops i cut up a old bicycle intertube into some 4"x5" squares and wraped them around my hoop and then put my pedal on. i been doing it almost 20 years now and its been pretty effective and can be used over and over again

also i like the falam patch it gives me a little more attack on my bass drum and lasts longer than the evans patch . FYI i'm using danmar wood beaters .

hey guys,

this thread was really timely as i've just put a 22" coated emperor on my kick (14x22 3ply maple 70's Ludwig+Iron cobra single) and im finding the Falam Slam troublesome...

the head has given me the tone i wanted with how i have tuned it, warm and open but punchy (one vertical felt strip on the reso pitched higher no felt on the batter) but in order to save the life of the head i tried out the Falam first with some tape and i was really surprised the difference, just not immediately in a good way!

to me the Falam actually cut the tone/resonance and changed the over all volume potential of the drum.i had to drive the beater that bit harder to get the punch. it sounded just that little bit more dampened (perhaps i shouldnt be surprised?). im currently experimenting with finding an alternative as i want to retain the head's characteristics as much as i can but gain the durability! does it have to be a trade off??

now, im aware there's heaps of variables here as in the room acoustics/beaters/size of drum/reso head etc BUT it may be worth noting for some the Falam's dampening qualities when you are looking for an airier drum sound.

il report back if i come up with a solution.

Zambizzi, i read your recent experience with a similar head and kick combination right?... any thoughts?? i want that punch! just not a dead tone lol

For a sound that's closest to the "no patch sound", I use a piece of cut Coated Ambassador head 2"x3" taped at the edges to the head.

It's the same head that I use for the batter, so the sound of the beater hitting the patch is the same as hitting no patch. It would work the same on your Emperor.
There's no "lag" or adverse effect because the piece isn't glued to the head at all.

Besides the great sound, it's FREE, it can be changed as often as you like, and every time you change it, the feel is like a new head.

PA270124.jpg

I've used this method for many years, and it works and sounds great...did I mention it's FREE? :)

Karl, you are the man.

i was almost going to PM yourself regarding a head choice/lugwig question recently so its funny you took on my question here!

i had infact spotted your solution and that picture of your set up after i had posed this question this afternoon, and gave the exact suggestion a shot tonight amongst some other trials....and what do you know? it's worked out really well. plenty of what i was looking for. you already knew that though!

as it happens, i will be recording this sunday with my band so in honour of this forum and yourself Karl, i'l give it hell with the right foot ;)

ps: i wont hold you resposible if i put the beater through the new Emp...

Thanks again!

Yeah...can't explain that one. I tuned the head to where I like it and then I slapped the patch on. It made absolutely no difference. I've used them on coated Emps, PS3s, and coated Ambassadors. I DO use an Iron Cobra felt beater and I suppose a wood or plastic beater might change the sound...but I'm guessing it'd hardly be noticeable.

I can't help but think you've got another problem, like tuning or some tension rods coming loose. Sounds weird to me.

hey,
thanks for that too Zambizzi. is yor reso on that Ludwig ported?? perhaps that made the difference in your situation.
it was a surprising one. upon bedding in of the Emp,and a tweak with the tunning, the drum has come to life more than before. the combination with the suggestion from Karl below certainly helped maintain the 'boom' as opposed to the 'thud' i was getting with the patch taped on.

i should point out that i was changing from a CS smooth white with black dot batter that, whilst it was 30+ year old (dont worry it hadnt been played continuously for 30 years...) STILL sounded incredible, so kudos to Remo there! GREAT head.

in all honesy we know we are talking small diferences to an unmiked kit, in whatever room you have your set up, but i was still taken back that i could hear and feel that difference with the patch given the majority opinion here. trial and error as they say!

ps if anyone wants a pack of Falam patches unused then let me know lol

Back