Snare drums - Favourite and recommend!

Bertram

Silver Member
What's your favorite snare?
- Which ones can you recommend for a guy not willing to pay alot for it?
- I play rock mostly - maybe even metal when im bored - also jazz.
- Steel/chrome/Cobber/Maple/birch/......
- Is Drumgear a manufacturer that is able to bring me good drum?

http://www.drumcity.dk/produkter/lilletrommer/drum_gear/14x6_drum_gear_staal_mkll.htm

The price is about 343 USD! ( not willing to pay much more than that )
Thinking about that one.. Comment!
Thanks in advance.

I like Steve Jordan's snare. Think you'll be able to get it used for that amount.
Mapex has some really good cheaper snares in their Black Phanter-line, and even better - the MPX. They go for like 100 bucks or something.
Either maple or steel/brass.

Can't speak about that company, though. :)

Can i trust that website? never done business there... and im living in europe.
it sure is way cheaper! about half the price i can get anywhere near my place.

I've bought a guitar from there before, so it should be fine. I haven't bought any drum equipment from them though, but I plan on it soon.

I own and love the Tama Stewart Copeland signature snare. Paid $330 USD. It is solid: heavy brass shell covered in chrome, die cast hoop on top, 10 lugs. It tunes to everywhere I send it to (fat and deep, or high and crack-y). I've said this before, but it's a modern day Rogers Dynasonic from back in the day.

The drums that really do it for me are the American-made drums of the 50s-early 70s. They have such a wonderful woody sound without sounding "tubby" like the drums of the eras before. A nice, dry, woody crack. Slingerland Hollywood Aces are a good, cheap buy, and they have the "stick saver" rims that are INCREDIBLE to play rimshots on...

My absolute favourite snare in my arsenal is my 6.5x14" Brady block snare. Beautiful snare drum with incredible tone, range and sensitivity, worth every penny.

My recommendation however is a vintage Acrolite modified with a P-86 Millenium strainer. I have gotten a lot of mileage out of mine.

Yamaha Musashi
Mapex Cherry Bomb - really I like most all of the Black Panthers
Pork Pie lil squealer
Ludwig Black magic
Chad Smith sig

You can get LOADS of great snares for that price I'd check out some websites and see which ones you think you might like.

+1 on the Copeland...I bought one used and it is becoming my go to snare. I have some Brady Block as well as ply which are truly warm and wonderful....but my fave right now is my Sonor Gavin Harrison 5 x 12 snare....just full of pop and wonderfully warm for such a small drum.

F

I own and love the Tama Stewart Copeland signature snare. Paid $330 USD. It is solid: heavy brass shell covered in chrome, die cast hoop on top, 10 lugs. It tunes to everywhere I send it to (fat and deep, or high and crack-y). I've said this before, but it's a modern day Rogers Dynasonic from back in the day.

Bo,

Do you have a link to a video with this drum so I can hear it?
I know you've got great audio technique and equipment.

Is it a little too bright, being brass + chrome? I'm considering a DW Edge 13 x 6.5 but the $625 is making me think 2x....

I am more into metal..
but I love the Joey Jordinson signature!
I think its around $280 ? It sounds so nice to me, probably my favorite!

Back