My Gretschs set up for gigging

pearlygates

Gold Member
Heres a few pix of my new Gretsch catalina maple kit a a recent gig. This kit is very impressive.. whatta you think? Thanks for looking.

GretschcatsPhantom013.jpg

GretschcatsPhantom011.jpg

tensionrod009.jpg

Gretsch019.jpg

Last edited:
I like that honey laquer and those Zs. I see you also have a Sabian in there.

How do those clears sound on that kit? Pretty snappy I bet.

Gretsch017.jpg

Kit specs;
Gretsch Catalina Maple drums in deep amber lacquer. ( 1 up 2 down; 10, 14, 16 )
*Evans G2 batter/stock Gretsch resos (toms)
*Remo CS reverse dot coated snare batter/stock Gretsch snare side
Pearl 20 strand brass snare wires
*Aquarian SKII kick drum head/stock resonant w/4" holz port in 4 oclock position

Mapex/Yamaha hardware, Yamaha Flying Dragon single chain drive pedal FP9310 (not shown)
**Adding PDP rack, Yamaha HH stand, booms

Cymbals:
*Sabian XS20 14" hats
*Sabian XS20 10" splash
*Sabian (80s circa) HH 18" medium crash
*Zildjian 15" K custom fast crash
*Zildjian 16" A custom medium crash
*Zildjian 20" K custom ride

I use this kit for gigging and some recording. I am blown away by the build quality and pro level sound! Anyone on the fence with the Catalina Maples? I have been playing drums for 33 years (now semi pro) and will say that this is one great sounding and looking kit for a small outlay. I love 'em.

Last edited:
Delicious kit there, Yammie. Kind of ironic though, you having a Gretsch...

But I love that one-up / two-down set up. It's classy, and kick ass all at once. Also digging the ride, I have one myself and really enjoy playing with it.

Overall, just great stuff going on in this thread.

Looks good. Just make sure in the heat of the night you don't lose that ride cymbal wing nut and put a huge gouge in your bass drum when it falls.

Looks good. Just make sure in the heat of the night you don't lose that ride cymbal wing nut and put a huge gouge in your bass drum when it falls.
No falling rides.. the wingnut is secured tightly against the nylon thread sleeve. I thought about that too. I have been mounting my ride cymbal like this for years.
Thanks for the concern though!

Nice kit. and that would be really bad!

great pics! really nice set up you have there, gotta love the classic 1 up 2 down! and those Gretsch's look damn nice under a little light...

Delicious kit there, Yammie. Kind of ironic though, you having a Gretsch...

But I love that one-up / two-down set up. It's classy, and kick ass all at once. Also digging the ride, I have one myself and really enjoy playing with it.

Overall, just great stuff going on in this thread.
Thanks alot DTS!

Nice kit, man. I like the way you've got all of those cymbal arms positioned...looking good.
Thanks bro.. lovin' this KIT!

Nice kit. and that would be really bad!
Why..yes..yes it would. Thanks!

great pics! really nice set up you have there, gotta love the classic 1 up 2 down! and those Gretsch's look damn nice under a little light...
Dude..The looks of this kit truly match the sound! I'm thinking White kick reso/black logo or the fiberskyn reso with the offset logo?? Whatta you guys think?

Nice kit!

I have the same, but how do you like the G2's on the tom?? With the stock heads I use a set of plastic muffle rings (don't know the name). I don't know what's better, EC2 or G2 for rock/hardrock. Anyone knows??

Bram

Nice kit!

I have the same, but how do you like the G2's on the tom?? With the stock heads I use a set of plastic muffle rings (don't know the name). I don't know what's better, EC2 or G2 for rock/hardrock. Anyone knows??

Bram

Its a matter of what sound you are looking for Bram. I play my toms (for the most part) wide open with no muffling other than maybe a chunk of moongel..depending on the room acoustics..also for studio. G2s are great double ply heads and are well suited for hard rock. The EC2s are also a fine choice if you are looking for a more controlled sound and tune your drums low. either or both heads are a great choice for rock music.

Back