Drum recording help/interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapexzil

I have all the mics i need if not more and 8 xlr cords. My dad has had this Boss BR1600 lying around so i decided to use that to record into. It's great and all but I can't do any mixing or anything considering it's a digital recorder, not Pro Tools. We use macs so i have access to GarageBand and I've been looking into some interfaces. The Presonus firepod really catches my attention.

Any other interface suggestions for 8 mic multitracking? Will the firepod work w/ Garage Band?

well if you like pro tools, i'd say buy a used digi 002 rack mount and get the latest ver 7.4 le software (8.0 is just released but you want to wait til 2 service packs are out). Since the 003 came out, it smashed the price point of the older hardware and you can get them used on ebay for the same price as the fp10 firepod now.

Also look at an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R USB Interface
Focusrite octopre LE
Mackie onyx 800r

For a good value recording solution at this sort of range, Pro Tools isn't the way to go. Although the software is great, I've had a very, very mixed experience with the interfaces. That's before we even get into the technical specifications and the like. I would suggest buying another DAW software package and considering a good quality interface, such as Diosdude has suggested. The older Presonus FirePod has also come down in price since the FP10 came out and is an excellent bit of kit, as well as the Focusrite gear and even the MOTU 8Pre. These won't work with ProTools, but will work with other DAW programmes. Personally, I'm a Mac guy - and use Logic - which also has a great sequencer. But there are plenty of other packages out there.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm most likely going with the firepod and use garageband for the time being. I might upgrade to Pro Tools M-Powered later on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back