Favorite Drumsticks for Recording/Studio?

Drumwiz

I'm heading into the studio in about 2 weeks- curious to hear some favorite sticks for studio work, particularly rock/hard rock.

Tip shape? Tip material? Diameter?

I know that barrel tips are known to be good for studio work.

The studio isn't going to be playing your drums, you are. Stay with something you're use to and works for you. If you're going into a real commercial studio, probably now is not the time to break in a different pair of sticks. Time is always money when working in a studio environment.

Dennis

The studio isn't going to be playing your drums, you are. Stay with something you're use to and works for you. If you're going into a real commercial studio, probably now is not the time to break in a different pair of sticks. Time is always money when working in a studio environment.

Dennis

Didn't say I was planning on having a nice stick experimentation session while in the studio- simply curious to hear if other people have a preference of stick when recording.

Didn't say I was planning on having a nice stick experimentation session while in the studio- simply curious to hear if other people have a preference of stick when recording.

Actually you didn't say much of anything. You didn't say what you're using now, the type of music you play or how long you've been playing. I'm sure most drummers would play their own variation of sticks that they are use to if it was a legitimate recording session, I sure do. If I was use to playing 7A sticks for many years, I wouldn't want to pick-up a pair of 2B sticks to use on a studio session.

Dennis

VF SD1 General. Same stick I've been playing for like 15 years or so. Why change what works for the studio?

Personally, I don't think tip shape matters much except for when you're playing on the hi hat and ride cymbal.
When I change sticks I don't notice a difference in the way the toms sound. Diameter can change the beefiness of a rim shot though.
That being said, I find myself gravitating between the Vater Los Angeles 5A's and the Vater Mike Johnston 2-4-5-1's. The diameter and length is very close so they feel almost the same in my hands. I prefer Mike Johnston's sticks for lighter music because the tip of the stick is much more gentle. For rock I prefer the LA 5A's because of the beefier tip.

No specific studio sticks, but I primarily use 3 fairly different Vic Firth models, and the style or volume needed govern which I use on a particular song, or an entire gig. On rare occasions, I need to use a radically different stick, Most recently, I played classic marching style on an old marching snare, and only a beefier stick with a large tip can make those drums sound like they're intended. My old Silver Fox 2S laminated sticks came out, and were perfect for the job!

Bermuda

You're aware that those are concert snare drum sticks, right?
A tip that big offers little versatility.

Yeah I know they are. I play them because I have big hands and they are comfortable for me. They do what I need them to and have no issues with them whatsoever.

"Personally, I don't think tip shape matters much except for when you're playing on the hi hat and ride cymbal."

So why then did you comment on the versatility of the stick I use?

Last edited:
Back