No Rhythm Dude

We collectively call them the Rhythmically Challenged. He has to be drunk out of his mind.

Last edited:
Closest one to the stage of course. May have been alcohol induced.

I laughed, I cried, I spit coffee... This was quite a journey.

I've known a number of individuals like this (married to one). I'd venture to guess that rhythm is part of the the diverse spectrum of cognition that us humans inherit. I've often wondered if it's all related to our perception of time of time, as I see other symptoms (uneven acceleration and breaking for example) in people that lack rhythm. Perhaps one of these days I'll google some studies.

That video was awesome, huge fan of shreds.

We have a gift people. The gift of rhythm. Cherish it. Cherish it every day of your lives because there are those that walk among us that do not have the same gift. In fact, some are void of said gift entirely and it is not good. Not good at all...

No Rhythm Dude

It's true.

I don't think I ever really realised how true this is until I was out in Liverpool drinking with a Lawyer a couple of years ago. Really nice chap this guy. Young lad. In fact the youngest full Partner in a legal firm in the UK.

We get talking later on about drumming. "I'd make a great drummer" he says...then crosses his arms and starts 'doing the moves'. He was having a real laugh and so was I. We roared.

Eventually I invited him round to my place to have a go on a proper set of drums...something he'd always wanted to do, but for whatever reason never had a chance.

I handed him the sticks. And he didn't have a clue what to put where. IT wasn't just a case of ability to hit them but not do it in time, or rhythmically or whatever. Just could not even self-articulate where to even start.

Second time I've seen this happen. Plenty of people of course DO know BASICALLY what to do, but can't do it. But these people just, like, lost all ability to even begin the journey.

Me. I'm no great drummer. I'm not even good. Industrially competent I would say. But, as a 12 year old I sat at my mate's kit, during one of their rehearsals. And I just knew instantly what to do. I had spent years tapping on armchairs....foottapping...etc. I just, literally, knew how to drum. Without ever having sat at a kit before.

Strange.

The video was HILARIOUS...I'd have to tell him to stop clapping for the love of God.

its funny, but its not in a way. Im not sure how I got the gift, because I have people in my family as well who have no rhythm at all.

As for the video, I'm embarrassed for all of you...it's patently obvious that this guy's playing some seriously complex polyrhythms around a basic beat. We should all be kneeling at his feet.

As for the video, I'm embarrassed for all of you...it's patently obvious that this guy's playing some seriously complex polyrhythms around a basic beat. We should all be kneeling at his feet.

Awesome :)

AND OMG remove the damn 20char min limit thing!!

I have 2 beginner drum students like this.. I'm hoping they get it soon, or they just give up.

We have a gift people. The gift of rhythm. Cherish it. Cherish it every day of your lives because there are those that walk among us that do not have the same gift. In fact, some are void of said gift entirely and it is not good. Not good at all...

No Rhythm Dude
BDD, this is really good stuff. Really laughing out loud here! Man, this hit me hard!!! Hahahahahaha!!!! I can't stop...!!! The cymbal crash moves in the first song are killer...

Last edited:
I've known a number of individuals like this (married to one). I'd venture to guess that rhythm is part of the the diverse spectrum of cognition that us humans inherit. I've often wondered if it's all related to our perception of time of time, as I see other symptoms (uneven acceleration and breaking for example) in people that lack rhythm. Perhaps one of these days I'll google some studies.

That video was awesome, huge fan of shreds.

Holy crap...I'm married to one too! Her accelerating and breaking drives me crazy!!

Don't even think about telling them, and the same goes with the pitch challenged. They think they are spot on and will argue with you to the end of time.

When you find someone who can't keep time or sing in key, just run.

Rather than taking the p**s out of the poor people you should just feel blessed that you are not cursed with the affliction. Some people have no sense of rhythm, some are tone deaf. There is nothing they can do about it, its like vertigo, no one wants to have it but there is not a great deal you can do to fix it.

Back