Camera to Record Some Drumming Things for Youtube

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I'm thinking about doing some lesson kind of things to put on Youtube. Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive camera? I'm looking for something that is easy to drop videos from to Youtube. I'd guess I would also need something that I could hook up mics to.

I'd like to stay away from GoPro or Zoom cameras as I have had some issues in the past with those. I'd also like something a bit better than my iPhone, if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Well, since you said no Zoom or GoPro products... Also...could you define "cheap"? Cheap as in less than $250? Cheap as in less than $1000?

For me, I would think that a Cheap Canon DSLR with a kit lens may be a good way to go.

I'm no Spielberg, but I know a lot of youtubers use DSLR rigs and sync audio off a separate device.

One of the most important things to consider is lighting. Without decent lighting any video will be subject to some degree of "graininess". The advantage of the DSLR is you have a wider ranger of ISO (think film speed) that is more forgiving than a typical Zoom\GoPro\camcorder (are they even called that any more lol).

But if you invest in a couple LED panels your light g should be fine with most any camera or even an iPhone.

Well, since you said no Zoom or GoPro products... Also...could you define "cheap"? Cheap as in less than $250? Cheap as in less than $1000?

For me, I would think that a Cheap Canon DSLR with a kit lens may be a good way to go.

I'm no Spielberg, but I know a lot of youtubers use DSLR rigs and sync audio off a separate device.

One of the most important things to consider is lighting. Without decent lighting any video will be subject to some degree of "graininess". The advantage of the DSLR is you have a wider ranger of ISO (think film speed) that is more forgiving than a typical Zoom\GoPro\camcorder (are they even called that any more lol).

But if you invest in a couple LED panels your light g should be fine with most any camera or even an iPhone.

Well, closer to $250 than $1000, but I'm willing to spend $300-400 or so. I'll check out the Canon DSLRs on the market. Thanks for the heads up.

I’m no expert, but in the right light most smartphones can record perfectly good video footage at 1080p... I think the problem is that the audio sucks. Especially for the dynamics of a drum kit.

Have you seen the EAD10 from Yamaha? I haven’t used it, but I saw some demos that impressed me - specifically around automatically syncing the audio from the EAD10 with smartphone video for YouTube.

Appreciate that it’s not what you’re looking for, but it just occurred to me that your use case is one of the scenarios that Yamaha has been marketing to.

I’m no expert, but in the right light most smartphones can record perfectly good video footage at 1080p... I think the problem is that the audio sucks. Especially for the dynamics of a drum kit.

Have you seen the EAD10 from Yamaha? I haven’t used it, but I saw some demos that impressed me - specifically around automatically syncing the audio from the EAD10 with smartphone video for YouTube.

Appreciate that it’s not what you’re looking for, but it just occurred to me that your use case is one of the scenarios that Yamaha has been marketing to.

Hmm... I haven't heard about it at all, actually. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

The EAD10 is a very cool product. Got a chance to try one and hear it one day at Sam Ash, was very impressive how it sounded with how relatively simple it is mic'd. It's designed to do pretty much what you are looking for. Also has some built in effects. A trigger mounts to your bass drum that has an XY mic on top of it. Really captures the kit well. If you are looking for decent video and want to steer clear of Zoom or Go Pro then a DSLr is pretty much the only other option. What problems did you have with those? I have a Q2n and it's working great and sounds great

Last edited:
I have the Focusrite iTrack Pre for use with my iPhone and it's not a bad device. You can plug in a microphone XLR, or a 1/4" audio jack, and there's a level control for the incoming audio into your phone. It only cost me $120 at the time and works rather well to get good recorded audio into your phone. I usually couple this with my Mackie 1604 mixer, do a full miking of the drums, then take a mono line out into the iTrack. Set the phone to record video and audio and you're all done.

I also do alot of stuff with Zoom products (I have a Q2n and a Q8) so I'm interested in knowing what kind of problems you had. I haven't had any glaring issues with mine.

I'm thinking about doing some lesson kind of things to put on Youtube. Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive camera? I'm looking for something that is easy to drop videos from to Youtube. I'd guess I would also need something that I could hook up mics to.

I'd like to stay away from GoPro or Zoom cameras as I have had some issues in the past with those. I'd also like something a bit better than my iPhone, if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

In low light, you won't notice any difference between the very best DSLR cameras and your iPhone or Zoom. It's a grainy, crappy shot because there just isn't enough light. Check out some lighting options here.

You really should consider the Zoom Q2n and Q4n, which both have an external input for audio. With a small mixer and the right cables, you can blend two mic signals -- one for kick, one for overhead (or crotch position if you prefer) -- and the click or track you're playing with. You'll have good audio already sync'd with your videos, saving you a step when it comes time to edit. Check out this video, which explains the set up in detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYSwacQRkA4

In low light, you won't notice any difference between the very best DSLR cameras and your iPhone or Zoom. It's a grainy, crappy shot because there just isn't enough light...

Respectfully...beg to differ. Larger sensor-better light gathering ability.

While an iPhone is an amazing piece of technology, physics is physics and a larger sensor will produce a cleaner image in low light than a smaller sensor.

Now, maybe there are some examples out there that will disprove this, but I haven't found any.

I will-wholeheartedly agree that the more light the better-and that a cheap camera with good light will serve better than an expensive camera with no or low light.... :)

While an iPhone is an amazing piece of technology, physics is physics and a larger sensor will produce a cleaner image in low light than a smaller sensor.

Now, maybe there are some examples out there that will disprove this, but I haven't found any.

I will-wholeheartedly agree that the more light the better-and that a cheap camera with good light will serve better than an expensive camera with no or low light.... :)

So, since you already have an iPhone, go to the Home Depot and get one of those work lights on a stand thing for $40 and add more light to your shoot. Seems alot cheaper than getting a whole 'other camera you have to learn how to use, no?

I don't know if they're around anymore, but i bought a Zoom Q2HD a few years back and it's a great recording tool. I use it for practice sessions with my bands to record stuff (mainly for remembering new stuff, not for recording new songs etc). The video option is nice as well, although you need a well lit room

So, since you already have an iPhone, go to the Home Depot and get one of those work lights on a stand thing for $40 and add more light to your shoot. Seems alot cheaper than getting a whole 'other camera you have to learn how to use, no?

Yep...and fry yourself under a 500w halogen while blind...lol.

Or just buy $100 dollars in nice and cool Amazon LEDs and you'll be producing cutting edge video in no time!

Wonder why no one suggested better lighting several posts back...

oh..wait...(quote Mongrel: "One of the most important things to consider is lighting. Without decent lighting any video will be subject to some degree of "graininess". The advantage of the DSLR is you have a wider ranger of ISO (think film speed) that is more forgiving than a typical Zoom\GoPro\camcorder (are they even called that any more lol).

But if you invest in a couple LED panels your lighting should be fine with most any camera or even an iPhone.")

And then there's that "learning curve" for a DSLR... Put camera on tripod, set to video, adjust lens, hit "record"... Yep, better stick with an iPhone, don't want to overwhelm yourself with all that 'nother camera stuff...!

Come on guys...really?

lol.

Last edited:
I'm currently using a rather Cheap Zoom Q2n ; the screen can't be really used to do anything else than checking out. The lens is wide angle, which can be practical, and the sound is, as always on zoom product, distortion free.

Good information on this thread so far. I never even thought about the lighting, so I appreciate that being mentioned.

The Zoom Q2N and Q4N have real benefits here. The wide angle will show you and your entire kit; the iPhone's angle is not wide enough. You can get good sound going in (no editing or lining up audio later), and you can use your existing iPhone for a second shot (close up of the feet, for example).

Ok, someone like yourself, who is familiar, will notice that one shot is crappy, and the other shot is a bit more crappy. And if the lighting is truly terrible, you might not notice any difference, especially when drum sticks are moving fast. But to the uninitiated -- probably both shots just look crappy. The point is, a DSLR is excessive and unnecessary for YouTube training videos. Some LEDs, and a camera set to 1080p, 30 frames per second, will do the job nicely.

Yep...and fry yourself under a 500w halogen while blind...lol.

Or just buy $100 dollars in nice and cool Amazon LEDs and you'll be producing cutting edge video in no time!

Ha! Solid advice.

I'm currently using a rather Cheap Zoom Q2n ; the screen can't be really used to do anything else than checking out.

This is true! The Q4N is better for checking out your shot ahead of time, because the screen can be flipped. The Q2N is smaller and less obtrusive, but the small screen on the back makes it hard to tell exactly what's in the shot, if you're positioning the camera on yourself.

Back