In the studio

I feel ya on this. It is the way of metal productions these days in that the guitar sound has gotten denser and denser+ louder in the mix, so it's much harder to get the drums to cut. I frankly gave up on getting a natural drum sound on a metal recording years ago, as it just won't cut in the mix. I'd rather have it heard than not at all. Interestingly enough, I did some metal recordings with a singer/guitarist who is into natural sounds, but we tried that and the drums did have to be too loud in the mix to cut with the punchier kick sound, so we both agreed to just eq it and go with audibility/even sound over low end. Didn't need triggers though, although you have to know what you're doing to get a cutting sound with just eq.

I've noticed another trend with metal recordings in that you can barely hear the cymbals any more. I did a recording a couple of years ago where you could only hear the china. But, I was curious so I went and checked out some newer metal albums, and sure enough, that seems to be the trend at the moment. Luckily with this newer one this dude doesn't care about trends, and we got some sweet cymbal sounds. So, really it's all about who you work with in the end.

For the most part the band has come to an agreement on the mix. But that seems to be the minor point in all of it. Meaning that I've found that my guitar player/singer really is overly emotional and aggressive in his behaviors. Not meaning physically but in his tone, demeanor and actions when he gets upset about thing's. And he is easily upset about thing's. I tried to talk with him about it last night to be able to rectify the situation asking him if he can not be so emotionally aggressive and all it did was make him more excited. He tries to turn everything around to where it's always someone else's fault and he likes to try to make things out to where he is always right. The funny thing is he accuses other people of doing exactly what he does. It's maddening to be honest. He's even told me that his girlfriend tells him the same things about the way he behaves. But he doesn't believe her either. He says it's all in hers, and my, perspective. So he refuses to see that it's him and he refuses to take the responsibility that he needs to for his actions. All this stuff really came out with the guitar player during the whole studio situation. That's why I tried to have a calm sit down with him last night so this kind of thing would not keep happening, but of course his reaction was extremely emotional.

Throughout the conversation last night he kept threatening to quit the band. I was fully ready to let him do so, but, we kept talking. So who knows if he's going to stay or go. If he goes it probably will be for the best. But if he stays I told him that we both have to work on this situation to make it better. Meaning he can't just dump it all at my feet and assume no responsibility. I hate working with emotionally volatile people, but sadly I'm working with who I have in my area. And the pickins are slim when it comes to people who can play who are not already in bands.

Last edited:
Wow. He has issues. If you want to stay you have to absolutely refuse to be talked with in that manner. Get up and walk away for 5 minutes, and say that you will be back when he can talk to you in a normal tone. Come back and try again. Don't get emotional though. Show him the behavior you want from him. Keep yourself completely cool and detached in your tone of voice, but refuse that treatment. Don't storm out and slam doors. Tough situation when he has anger and transference issues, coupled with an inability to recognize his own behavior. Don't let him drag you down to his level. Some people are unchangeable and if he is one of those types, your choices are to work around it or fire him/walk away.

For the most part the band has come to an agreement on the mix. But that seems to be the minor point in all of it. Meaning that I've found that my guitar player/singer really is overly emotional and aggressive in his behaviors. Not meaning physically but in his tone, demeanor and actions when he gets upset about thing's. And he is easily upset about thing's. I tried to talk with him about it last night to be able to rectify the situation asking him if he can not be so emotionally aggressive and all it did was make him more excited. He tries to turn everything around to where it's always someone else's fault and he likes to try to make things out to where he is always right. The funny thing is he accuses other people of doing exactly what he does. It's maddening to be honest. He's even told me that his girlfriend tells him the same things about the way he behaves. But he doesn't believe her either. He says it's all in hers, and my, perspective. So he refuses to see that it's him and he refuses to take the responsibility that he needs to for his actions. All this stuff really came out with the guitar player during the whole studio situation. That's why I tried to have a calm sit down with him last night so this kind of thing would not keep happening, but of course his reaction was extremely emotional.

Throughout the conversation last night he kept threatening to quit the band. I was fully ready to let him do so, but, we kept talking. So who knows if he's going to stay or go. If he goes it probably will be for the best. But if he stays I told him that we both have to work on this situation to make it better. Meaning he can't just dump it all at my feet and assume no responsibility. I hate working with emotionally volatile people, but sadly I'm working with who I have in my area. And the pickins are slim when it comes to people who can play who are not already in bands.

Classic narcissistic personality. Good luck .

These are spoiled brat tactics. Threatening to quit to get your way is classic. So is blaming everyone else. You need to put this dude in his place quick if you want this band to continue with him. I don't know if you have any kids, but it's the same thing. You have to be the parent and lay down the law. If he doesn't immediately chill out, tell him to hit the road. This will put things into perspective for him real quick, and if he really wants to continue in this band he will change his behavior. If he decides to walk, you don't want his crap anyhow. Treat him like a dog, when he pees on the floor, rub his nose in it.

Ask yourself this:

How will his personality change if the band ever hits success (however defined)?

Is this a personality you want to associate with if the band doesn't hit success?

PThinking about this a little more, I would personally pay more for an additional mix this way I had a copy of a mix that I like, even if it’s not the one used, purely for my artistic satisfaction. That is the one I would listen to, sort of like Metallica ...And JASON for All mix that’s on YouTube.

How about firing him and finding a second bass player? I know it sounds crazy, but a dual bass metal band would be rad. No guitards to contend with.

Ask yourself this:

How will his personality change if the band ever hits success (however defined)?

Is this a personality you want to associate with if the band doesn't hit success?

James do you have to be so spot on all the time?

It's annoying :)

James do you have to be so spot on all the time?

It's annoying :)

As I've said before, it's all just part of being this smart, funny, worldly and humble. Being wrong is for those less-fortunate than myself.

Ask yourself this:

I actually would be completely fine with firing him right now. But the bass player wants to keep trying with him. So I'm going to do my best. But, if he keeps doing what he is doing eventually I will let it be known that I won't work with him anymore. It's not worth the headache working with someone who is emotionally unstable.

I actually would be completely fine with firing him right now. But the bass player wants to keep trying with him. So I'm going to do my best. But, if he keeps doing what he is doing eventually I will let it be known that I won't work with him anymore. It's not worth the headache working with someone who is emotionally unstable.

How can you fire someone who isn't in your employment?

Get yourself out of the toxic environment. Music should be about enjoyment especially when you're creating music and not a hired gun.

What you describe are defined sociopathic tendencies.

Back