Music's deadliest genre

They are the ones that make the headlines. No one who abuses drugs has a long life span. Charlies Sheen will be next. He is too arrogant to believe he needs, or seek help. People die everyday from drugs but we don't know them so they just get swept under the carpet or put on the back page.

Charlie is just having some fun. Ya know people die everyday of all sorts of things. Death is a way of life. I've gotten used to it....the ultimate journey as it were. What are ya gonna do?

The title's "Music's deadliest genre" and rock/metal/grunge pops up?
Bit generalising isn't it when gangster rap's got a higher head count (actual homocide) to rock/metal/grunge (old age/drug use).

Polly,

When I saw your post I thought you were going to reffer to the practice of playing drums on a shark hunters boat and falling overboard. Whew!

The title's "Music's deadliest genre" and rock/metal/grunge pops up?
Bit generalising isn't it when gangster rap's got a higher head count (actual homocide) to rock/metal/grunge (old age/drug use).

Later on they talked about hip hop. The arts generally seems to have a lot of people who die young. Maybe it's a combo of culture, the pressure of having to keep producing peak performance and all the downtime waiting around? In Charlie Sheens's case, it's the money and adulation; he sees no limits (and is probably bipolar or something).

That's quite an imagination you have there, Zicko.

Some people are like that. They live fast and wild until the unsustainability of the lifestyle catches up.

Then they either fall off the perch (eg. Jim Morrison, Kurt) or their survival instincts kick in and they go through the demanding task of getting better (eg. Keef, Courtney).

Sad news to hear of another rock star dying young, but heroin and other hard drugs will definitely do that.

Grunge tends to get more attention then it deserves a lot of the time due to the attention it received in the 90s.

I can name about four different Funeral Doom bands, one of the most oppressive (sounding) and depressing sub genres of metal, with members that have committed suicide.

Later on they talked about hip hop. The arts generally seems to have a lot of people who die young. Maybe it's a combo of culture, the pressure of having to keep producing peak performance and all the downtime waiting around? In Charlie Sheens's case, it's the money and adulation; he sees no limits (and is probably bipolar or something).

1. Sorry I didn't actually see a link there the other day and assumed you were making the assumption (pity, 'cos I always like your posts and thought it was quite odd).

2. Charlie Sheen isn't a music genre, he's an actor - Why's he in the discussion?

Sad news to hear of another rock star dying young,

I am truly amazed that there are so many musicians still alive who played in the 1960s and 1970s, based on the lifestyles they lived. Some are in their late 60s and 70s and still touring. Many of them are vegetarians now and don't drink or smoke anymore. But the reality is that the first wave of rock n rollers are going to pass away in the next 5-10 years.

Geez Frosty, Funeral Doom sounds like a major downer. Wikipedia says that "Funeral doom ... places an emphasis on evoking a sense of emptiness and despair".

They could just as easily just work in business performance analysis like I do and save themselves the trouble. Then they could listen to happier music.

Charlie Sheen isn't a music genre, he's an actor - Why's he in the discussion?

lol - good point, Hell ... I guess I mentioned him for the same reason as Edmund Hilary gave for climbing Mount Everest :) He's kind of a rock star, isn't he?

inneedofgrace said:
I am truly amazed that there are so many musicians still alive who played in the 1960s and 1970s, based on the lifestyles they lived.
I agree, INOG. Mick Jagger is a good example. Apparently he lives really healthily now, and his stage act still looks like a huge workout. How Keef survived ... that's a mystery. I think it's because he was never really a tortured soul - he's just a really hedonistic guy. The ones who died all seemed to wear life more heavily than him and I'm guessing that at least part of their self abuse was about escape, maybe self destructiveness in some cases.

lol - good point, Hell ... I guess I mentioned him for the same reason as Edmund Hilary gave for climbing Mount Everest :) He's kind of a rock star, isn't he?
No, he's an actor.
Unless he plays rock music for aliving and has a sizable audience and record sales, he's not a "rock star".

Otherwise you might say the Pope is or Barrack Obama is...

Like the idiots who call Backstreet Boys a rock band

Gee Hell, you're not going to let me off with this one, are you? You're a hard man!

Okay, I give in. Charlie Sheen doesn't count. Scrap the Sheen comment from the Hansard!

Gee Hell, you're not going to let me off with this one, are you? You're a hard man!

Okay, I give in. Charlie Sheen doesn't count. Scrap the Sheen comment from the Hansard!

Charlie was quoted as saying he is embracing the rock star life style that he has. Does that count? :)

Why are you having a go at me for this when it's blatent common sense?

ANGUS YOUNG
PHIL LYNOTT
BRUCE DICKINSON
JOHN BONHAM
ROCK Stars

BACKSTREET BOYS
N*SYNC
MARIAH CAREY
KATY PERRY
POP stars

CHARLIE SHEEN
Actor

I'm not being pedantic but unless someone plays bone fide rock music and is a celebrity for doing it, they're not a "rock star".

Hell, someone could roll in a stretch Lincoln and swig champagne and coke off a latino honey's stomach ... untill they tour with Motley crue playing their own brand of sleaze riffs, they're just a person.

And Lemmy's pretty much indestructible.

Geez Frosty, Funeral Doom sounds like a major downer. Wikipedia says that "Funeral doom ... places an emphasis on evoking a sense of emptiness and despair".

They could just as easily just work in business performance analysis like I do and save themselves the trouble. Then they could listen to happier music.

Not a bad suggestion, but I don't imagine that performance analysis is very beautiful.

For some people beauty resides in nothingness, one might claim that a devotion to the impossible is an expression of pure beauty.

Most funeral doom lyrics I've read have dealt with wishing to resolve personal conflict, usually focalized from the perspective of emptiness and despair.

The music itself tends to be very minimalistic, but with tons of atmosphere.

The downside is that in order to perfect that kind of music, you usually need some serious stuff going on for inspiration.

Last edited:
Why are you having a go at me for this when it's blatent common sense?

i dont think anyone is having a go at you, i find it to be the other way around judging by how your posts come across to me. its a discussion on the internet, take it easy.

i dont think anyone is having a go at you, i find it to be the other way around judging by how your posts come across to me.
1. What posts have you read of mine?
- I've only made one post per thread and that was giving my opinion on something, I've never given "opinion" on anything other than my kit or someone else's finish.

To be honest there have been times when I've said exactly what's needed to answer an OP's question but one of the more "established" members did it after and took the credit.

its a discussion on the internet, take it easy.
2. "Take it easy" assumes I need to calm down.
My posts have not been anything near angry, they've been discussions.

I have done nothing wrong, I'm here to talk drums and discuss stuff.
Unless I have good need to calm down, don't assume I'm angry please people!!

Back