John Bonham

MunsieMan

In my opion one of the greatest drummers of all time, Fool In The Rain, When The Levee Breaks, Poor Tom all great grooves. Moby Dick...out of this world and Good Times Bad Times with all the triplets and his lightning fast foot. And D'yer Maker the very first Zeppelin song i could play. One thing i loved about John Bonham is that all his drums seem to fit in the song. Any other comments on John Bonham

p.s. My first post :)

Re: John Bonham (Bonzo)

DogBreath said:

i couldnt of said it any better myself the guy was an animal, i can play Moby Dick with sticks but if i tried to do that with my hands i probley wouldnt be drumming for awhile i dont no how he could play with his hands that hard in the studio and when they were bleeding he kept going...and Fool In The Rain was recorded with 3 MICS, thats insane

i read a biography earlier in the year about him, hes one of the greats. some of my favorites are achilles last stand, kashmir, rock n roll, wanton song, good times bad times, and when the levee breaks

Oh,i love bonzo.. Led Zeppelin are one of my favourite group.. The solo in Moby Dick is awesome,anyway,i found out three audio tracks of Fool In The Rain and the solo is built by three different recording
I love the way he says "one thwoah,one twoah three four" :D

Bonzo, is still to this day one of the most influencial rock drummers or drummers period. My favorite part of his playing is his feel or pocket. I recommed that you guys pick up the How the West was Won live CD. Some of the most spectacular drum work I have heard out of Bonham and Led Zeppelin

John Bonham is without a doubt one of the greatest drummers ever, and arguably the greatest rock drummer to ever live. When I first heard Moby Dick live on my computer I was completely blown away, and then to find out that he played with his hands! I was shocked how loud he could play with just his hands.
John Bonham set a standard for rock drumming and his influence on rock drummers is noticeable in almost every rock player. Bonham is still one of my main influences.
The man's a bloody animal!

John Bonham is personally my favorite drummer. I loved how he would just beat the crap out of his drums. Going thru a couple pairs of drumsticks a night. I got that book on john bonham "a thunder of drums". it was a very interesting book to read. i remember reading one part where it said that he was playing at a night club and broke a crash cymbal, a bass pedal, a drum head, hi-hats, and im sure some drumsticks while doing that. I have the zeppelin dvd, with the moby dick drum solo. best thing i have ever heard and seen in drumming. john bonham is not just the best rock drummer ever, but the greatest drummer ever to live.

"Just watch me tonight, I'm gonna totally demolish this drumkit." -John Bonham

Speedy said:
"Just watch me tonight, I'm gonna totally demolish this drumkit." -John Bonham

Ha Ha. That's an awesome quote from Bonham. He probably lived up to his promise as well.

Ever heard of this quote by Bonzo...he once said to Robert Plant

"You ARE good. But you are half as good as a singer as I am a drummer"

Comments anyone?? and please, dont point out the arrogance in this quote...he was just being honest....:)=

Heh. Yeah, I saw that one before. But he was right...the man was just a complete animal!

I think it comes down to defining the terms. Plant was a great rock singer, exactly as good of a singer as he needed to be for an all-time great rock band, but comparing his singing technically to some of the greatest singers from all genres, he falls short. Bonham, on the other hand, was a drumming god. So they were equally matched in Led Zeppelin, but Bonham was extraordinary to the point of inspiring awe and wonder.

DogBreath said:
I think it comes down to defining the terms. Plant was a great rock singer, exactly as good of a singer as he needed to be for an all-time great rock band, but comparing his singing technically to some of the greatest singers from all genres, he falls short. Bonham, on the other hand, was a drumming god. So they were equally matched in Led Zeppelin, but Bonham was extraordinary to the point of inspiring awe and wonder.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

i have this 4 dvd bootleg concert of Zeppelin and the camera is mainly focused of Bonham and in moby dick he plays with his hands and breaks the drum head...he truely was an animal

Seras said:

Comments anyone?? and please, dont point out the arrogance in this quote...he was just being honest....:)=

yea i have heard that before, heres a website with lots of quotes to bonzo.

http://www.geocities.com/bonzofreak/quotes.html

Superlow said:
Bonzo, is still to this day one of the most influencial rock drummers or drummers period. My favorite part of his playing is his feel or pocket. I recommed that you guys pick up the How the West was Won live CD. Some of the most spectacular drum work I have heard out of Bonham and Led Zeppelin

i went to the library today with my mom and i saw How The West Was Won 3 disc CD and i remember seeing on here someone recommended it i look on the back Disc 2 Track 4 Moby Dick 19 min long i pop it in and thought it might get boaring but i was listening to it and i couldnt believe how good it was i mean i knew bonzo was a god but this solo was unbelievable its insane he is 2 good for words i recommened that CD to anyone who likes Bonzo

I'm not sure I can add much to what's been said...
He's definetly one of my faves...I got into Led Zeppelin about the same time I got into drumset, so Bonham was probably my first real influence on the kit and that wasn't a bad place to start. :) "When the Levee Breaks" was one of the first grooves I learned.

Hey...MunsieMan mentioned mic's and that reminded me...I heard that "Levee" was recorded (the drums at least) with only 2 mic's, one 10 feet away and the other 20. Anybody know if I've got that right?

ive read that his kit was set up at the foot of a stairwell, and that there was just a sterio pair of microphones placed on the second landing.

G-MaN91 said:
ive read that his kit was set up at the foot of a stairwell, and that there was just a sterio pair of microphones placed on the second landing.

i heard that to that would explain the way his drums sounded if it was set up in a stairwell only bonham would do something like that

Back