John Bonham

Both John&Jason Bonham are my reason to exist/live! :).My absolute/definite heros&inspiration&motivation for not only playing drums but living!.Without them i wouldn,t be writing this as i'd be either dead or not able to play due to alcoholism! :(.Does anyone have any advice/tips on dealing with :anxiety/depression&negativity&panic attacks?.I asked for this exact&same advice on a Melbourne(Australia) based webiste(not drummer based) &got bullied on there to the point of having to change both my username&password because of both the negativity&trolls on there.Because of this my name is mud in terms of getting a gig!.They have attempted&tried to stop me getting a gig on there!(website) &because of this my anxiety&depression&panic ataacts have increased to the point of not even wanting to look at my "boom booms/cannons".If there's another Melbourne based musos forum/website i'd join it in a flash!.Sorry to bore you with my problems&thanks for reading&your consideration
Adrian.

Does anyone on here (a Bonham /Paiste "expert/guru") know what brand/model/series&sizes he played on Led Zeppelin(debut/self titled) album?.

No, but there was a 2007 Traps article available on the net (drummerzone?) that had a one page fairly detailed run down of all his equipment at various times although not by album.

Does anyone on here (a Bonham /Paiste "expert/guru") know what brand/model/series&sizes he played on Led Zeppelin(debut/self titled) album?.
Ludwigs & Zildjians(this was before he got endorsed by Paiste) I know it was a 24" bass drum instead of 26" as he is well known for & it was a 4-piece not a 5-piece, 1 floor-tom not sure if it was a 16" or 18" & a 14" tom, also not sure of the cymbals types just know they were Zildjians.

Hopefully this helps out a little bit.

Bonzolead

PLEASE DO ME A FAVOUR. we all have our favourite drummers, but never again mention ringo" talentless " star in the same breath as john bohnam and neil peart. the man was, and still is, a useless, clueless comedy drum clown. my dog's got more rhythem, groove n feel when he's shagging his bed
That has to be the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.Few drummers will agree with that comment on any level.All of the pros I know or have spoken to would just probablely just stare at you in disbelief.You obviously don't have an objective or well trained ear when it comes to groove so i have to believe you are both in your teens and a believer in more is better...get out of my way so I can play this fill kind of drummer.Sad.

Steve B

Not only an amazing drummer,but he had an amazing drum SOUND. Many times you will get one without the other.

That has to be the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.Few drummers will agree with that comment on any level.All of the pros I know or have spoken to would just probablely just stare at you in disbelief.You obviously don't have an objective or well trained ear when it comes to groove so i have to believe you are both in your teens and a believer in more is better...get out of my way so I can play this fill kind of drummer.Sad.

Steve B

Agreed. Seems most good drummers absolutely give Ringo the credit he deserves. There's alot more to Ringo's drumming than most realize.

I certainly agree, John has/had feel and technique. Your kit is an honourable tribute to Mr. Bonham, keep up the good work!

i just watched the song remains the same agine and i now thay played three nites and i belive he used the 18 and 20 inch floor toms the whole three nites does anyone agree

Re: Bonham fills

If your looking for a good Bonham exercise try hitting tom,bass drum,floor tom,hit only one drum at a time start slow and then increase the tempo steadily remember no two drums should hit at the same time I can't. read music or tab so I hope you understand
this is a good exercise for your hand,feet cordination.Bonham was such a feel,groove type player wit a incredible right foot so you really got to have a good meter and i don't. mean metranome I mean enternally. good luck.

Bonzolead

if your looking for a good bonham exercise try pounding spike nails into a board with two hammers like he did useing his fill technic

The thing about Bonham is that he used really big drums. He used an LM 402, which is a deeper snare drum, I believe a 14" rack tom and a 16" and 18" floor toms, not to mention a 26" bass, which is 4 inches larger than the regular 22" bass. For a classic rock sound, get large drums, and tune them lower... thats what Bonham did, and his sound is one of the most sought after sounds in drum history.

John Bonham drum-set configuration with Led Zeppelin.

1968 Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl Kit:

9" x 13" Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16" x 18" Floor tom
14" x 24" Bass Drum

1969 Ludwig Thermo Gloss Natural Maple Kit:

6.5" x 14" Chrome Supra-Phonic Snare Drum
12" x 15" Mounted Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16" x 18" Floor Tom (added later on)
14" x 26" Bass Drum
14" x 26" Bass Drum with Cymbal Holder

1970 Ludwig Green Sparkle Kit:

10" x 14" Mounted Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16" x 18" Floor Tom
14" x 26" Bass Drum with Rail Mount & Cymbal Mount
29" Ludwig Machine Timpani Drum
30" Ludwig Universal Timpani Drum

1973 Ludwig Amber Vistalite Kit:

6.5" x 14"Chrome Supra-Phonic Snare Drum
10" x 14" Mounted Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16 " x18" Floor Tom

1975 Ludwig Silver Sparkle Kit (recording Presence)

1975 Ludwig Vistalite Kit In Black And White Pattern C: Spiral (for personal jamming)

1977 Ludwig Stainless Steel Kit:

12" x 15" Mounted Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16" x 18" Floor Tom
14" x 26" Bass Drum with Double Tom Mount

...I hope is of your interest at all...Cheers,

The thing about Bonham is that he used really big drums. He used an LM 402, which is a deeper snare drum, I believe a 14" rack tom and a 16" and 18" floor toms, not to mention a 26" bass, which is 4 inches larger than the regular 22" bass. For a classic rock sound, get large drums, and tune them lower... thats what Bonham did, and his sound is one of the most sought after sounds in drum history.

John Bonham drum-set configuration with Led Zeppelin.

1968 Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl Kit:

9" x 13" Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16" x 18" Floor tom
14" x 24" Bass Drum

1969 Ludwig Thermo Gloss Natural Maple Kit:

12" x 15" Mounted Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16" x 18" Floor Tom (added later on)
14" x 26" Bass Drum
14" x 26" Bass Drum with Cymbal Holder

1970 Ludwig Green Sparkle Kit:

10" x 14" Mounted Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16" x 18" Floor Tom

1973 Ludwig Amber Vistalite Kit:

6.5" x 14"Chrome Supra-Phonic Snare Drum
10" x 14" Mounted Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16 " x18" Floor Tom

1975 Ludwig Silver Sparkle Kit (recording Presence)

1975 Ludwig Vistalite Kit In Black And White Pattern C: Spiral (for personal jamming)

1977 Ludwig Stainless Steel Kit:

12" x 15" Mounted Tom
16" x 16" Floor Tom
16" x 18" Floor Tom
14" x 26" Bass Drum with Double Tom Mount

...I hope is of your interest at all...Cheers,
Ian, first off great avatar but "Presence" was recorded in 1976 & I believe he used the GS Ludwigs he always recorded with them throughout his career.

Bonzolead

Good point, brother!...hmm I thought - Presence - was recorded in studio in November 1975.

Ian, first off great avatar but "Presence" was recorded in 1976 & I believe he used the GS Ludwigs he always recorded with them throughout his career.

Bonzolead

Back