The legendary Steve Gadd

Well Henry the second ,i dont like Gadd that much either,he is a good all around player,but so is a whole lot of drummers,i think his best thing is that latin beat thing he does?.Ive heard his playing and its good basic playing,i mean i would love to play that basic stuff like that :) but i dont consider him a legend or anything.............

once again, another statement that shows a lack of knowledge of the history of drums. if we didnt have gadd we would not have drummers like vinnie or dennis. he was, and remains, one of the MOST influential drummers on the planet. gadd was one of the last drummers to come up w/ an instantly recongnizable sound which is something that i see a lot of contemporary drummers struggling to do these days.

bottom line, if youre not into gadd (or at the very least willing to admit that there is much to be learned from him), then you dont know what youre missing.

very nice find Tomgadd. Here is another very rare video of Steve and Ralph again.

This solo has it ALL groove and chops. The second half of this video Steve is just burning it up and showcases his strong right foot doubles (too bad the sound quality is poor the second half)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAVnSo2twM

upcoming dvd from the Leprechaun concerts....
from chick corea's webpage:

"The second exciting week featured a group of musicians Chick dubbed "The Leprechaun Band." This group featured Chick on keyboards, the great Steve Gadd on drums, bass legend Anthony Jackson, the amazing Ravi Coltrane on saxes and the Elektric Band's Frank Gambale.

This exclusive reunion focused on Chick's music from the 70's; revisiting tunes from the classic albums The Leprechaun, The Mad Hatter, My Spanish Heart and Friends. This group was really special because it was the first time Chick, Steve Gadd and Anthony Jackson--all musicians who were on the original recordings--had ever played the music live together!

To take things over the top, Chick and band played Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy from the first electric Return To Forever album. There's a special significance to this in that Steve Gadd was actually the original drummer for the electric Return To Forever band (a little known bit of fusion-lore) before Lenny White joined the group.

The gigs were documented with a very innovative video shoot using 15 miniature High Definition cameras placed around the stage at different interesting vantage points. The end result will make you feel like you're actually on stage and in the band!

Additionally, there are plans to make a special "instructional video" version of this film, where the viewer would be able to focus on a particular player in viewing the DVD. If you wanted to watch only Victor Wooten (or whoever your choice was) for the whole performance, from two or three camera angles, the viewer would have that flexibility. You could switch between all of the players individually or watch the show with the "conventional" edit.

It takes a lot of work to edit that many cameras and mix the audio in 5.1 Surround Sound, so you won’t likely see the release of this DVD until fall or winter of 2007.

You're going to love both of these DVDs which will most likely be packaged as a reasonably priced double DVD."

bottom line, if youre not into gadd (or at the very least willing to admit that there is much to be learned from him), then you dont know what youre missing.

IAbsolutely ! And I even dare to say that you don't know what you are talking about if you disagree with the above comment ! Regardless of one's personal taste, there is no way to deny Gadd's influence and status not only in modern drumming but in modern music in general.

You're going to love both of these DVDs which will most likely be packaged as a reasonably priced double DVD."

Ahh I CAN'T WAIT for this DVD. I'm generally not someone to be the first in line for a new cd or whatever, but I was there for the last night and saw allll the cameras they had running.. this will be a very, very good piece of entertainment that I'll buy the day it comes out!

A teaser of what's to come:
dscf0028sf7.jpg

great thread...just got done listening again to al di meola's live "tour de force" cd. one of my favs with gadd and a percussonist, anthony jackson on bass and jan hammer on keys. gadd is tremendous.

Steve Gadd clinic April 10th in Quincy MA.

AWESOME! Strange that Steve is from the northeast (he's an Upstate New Yorker like myself) and yet the northeast is the one area of the US that he hasn't done an official clinic-tour of. But no matter, Quincy is just a subway ride away from me..

puchasing ticket.. NOW.

Oh, and millersc, a big thanks for the heads up!

AWESOME! Strange that Steve is from the northeast (he's an Upstate New Yorker like myself) and yet the northeast is the one area of the US that he hasn't done an official clinic-tour of. But no matter, Quincy is just a subway ride away from me..

puchasing ticket.. NOW.

Oh, and millersc, a big thanks for the heads up!

He actually did come to Portland Maine, New York city, Boston, etc. last July with the Mission from Gadd Tour. I saw him in Portland. I'm hoping to see him this time as well.

Soooo mister Stevie Gadd was in town Tuesday, and well, uh, it was great. What a funny guy

here we were talking about the cymbal I brought for him to sign.. it's his Session line's top hihat - I love those hats!

is it me or is he getting younger and younger?

listening to the M.C. introduce himself

img5407ku5.jpg

et le coup de grace -- c'est tres beau!!

he's got such a great looking signature

Back