Do you enjoy playing less if you are a professional ?

No, I have a sense of humor. That just wasn't funny. And I actually know a lot of guys that I have recorded with who do have that exact attitude for real.

I know a few like that as well... they should really do themselves and everyone else a favor and find something else to do. Nice writing though, it described these guys to a T.

Unless the paycheck is just obscene, I don't think there's any job worth doing if it actually brought that much displeasure and resentment.

Bermuda

I know a few like that as well... they should really do themselves and everyone else a favor and find something else to do. Nice writing though, it described these guys to a T.

Unless the paycheck is just obscene, I don't think there's any job worth doing if it actually brought that much displeasure and resentment.

Bermuda

It is not just drumming. Some people are not happy unless they are not happy. You know these people, you go to work and they criticize everything. They are experts at pointing out what's wrong. They are eloquent, smart, motivated and they suck the life out of room. They are a big black hole. Why should drumming be any different?

Because it's better than that.

One thing I know is money isn't everything, the more you have, the less important it becomes. If you are finacially set and your job sucks and you didnt have to do it anymore, I think most would leave. Those who would stay just for the money... see above.

I think every industry has cranky crappy people. I try to avoid them as much as possible and if I have to hang around negativity, I try and minimize it. In the meantime, I put some breathing room between them and me with such passages as these:

"It is torture without end, servitude without reward, it is to grovel at muddy boots under the table as you wait, drooling, to gnaw on the next scrap of crust or sinew that is tossed to the filthy floor upon which you crawl like a diseased crab. Other than that it's really pretty cool."

That is some funny S#$%^@*t right there.

But I'm one of the only people I know who actually gets to do what I've always said wanted to do since I was a kid and I wouldn't trade that.

I always love reading your insights, Zack.

Your statement there is one I personally share as well. And I'm trying hard to follow that creedo right now in my life. To do what I also wanted to do since I was a kid.

I can't wait for the day I hand my boss a resignation letter and say "These will be the last 2 weeks I will ever sit at desk."

It is not just drumming. Some people are not happy unless they are not happy. You know these people, you go to work and they criticize everything. They are experts at pointing out what's wrong. They are eloquent, smart, motivated and they suck the life out of room. They are a big black hole.

I know plenty of professional musicians that are like this. I say things like, "Isn't it great that you're doing what you love for a living?" -or- "I'll bet there's at least 100 people here tonight that would love to do what you're doing for a living." It usually shuts off their rant. You have to realize that it's this critical nature in them that drives them to master their craft, but I do agree that they need to lighten up a little.

For the record, I love playing music as my source of income. If I didn't, I'd quit before I lost all interest in it so I could still have it as an enjoyable hobby...

I know plenty of professional musicians that are like this. I say things like, "Isn't it great that you're doing what you love for a living?" -or- "I'll bet there's at least 100 people here tonight that would love to do what you're doing for a living." It usually shuts off their rant. You have to realize that it's this critical nature in them that drives them to master their craft, but I do agree that they need to lighten up a little.

For the record, I love playing music as my source of income. If I didn't, I'd quit before I lost all interest in it so I could still have it as an enjoyable hobby...

Well said.

I should clarify to everyone. Jay's post was very well written, and I can see the humor in it (in retrospect). I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't well written or anything like that.

I just know SO MANY musicians who really do have that attitude, and it breaks my heart. We are so lucky to get to do what we do for a living. So lucky. If people don't realize that, or want to complain about it, that's up to them, but it breaks my heart.

Brilliantly put.

I think professional athletes feel the same way, for the most part. Take away the glamor, the lights, the crowds, the mega-million-dollar contracts...and they'd probably head to the nearest dusty field somewhere and fire up a game.

As for the negativity and discouragement - I've actually experienced that on this board before. These people have obviously never worked in a cubicle for 9 hrs. a day, taking crap from all directions, people putting constant pressure on you, etc. How about back-breaking labor for minimum wage (or damn close to it)? No matter what your situation is; chances are, it could be much worse.

You're either the type that makes lemonade from lemons or you just bitch about it and spread your negativity to others. I'm an insane optimist...everyday is fun for me, even if someone is trying their hardest to bust my balls.

I'd trade this dull cubicle lifestyle for that of a "professional" musician any day of the week and would love every minute of it. Maybe someday I will...maybe not. I always enjoyed hearing the crazy stories, while growing up. My old man died without a penny in his pocket but it mattered not. Having a rich, fulfilling life experience is priceless...both the ups and the downs.

That being said; I totally got the joke Jay - this is a no-sarcasm zone...get used to it. :p

Great question!

I think about this a lot, because I was a full-time pro and now I'm not.

I enjoyed "playing" more when I was a professional because I was much better!!! When your life's goal is to be the best musician you can be and you work hard at it, you get results. I was really proud of how good I got, but more importantly, I was really proud of how good my band(s) got, after a long tour, with night after night to improve and work on songs.

I always thought that a gig is worth about 5 practices. Which means there's no way to get as good as an amateur or part-time-pro as by being a full-time professional.

There's of course a flip side, expressed best by Hunter Thompson: ""The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

But as was said before, the playing is always the best part.

eric

There's of course a flip side, expressed best by Hunter Thompson: ""The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Now that I like very much, so much so that I'm going to steal it.

You know something, If I ever make a bunch of money playing music, I am going to spend 90% of on booze and hookers. The rest I am just going to blow.

Naturally...isn't that what everyone wants? With the rest I could pay for lawyers to bail me out of trouble and medications for resulting VD.

Back