WE Are Smart

And this study only used men as the test subjects. Now if they had added in some girl drummers they could have proven that drummers are genius!!!! :)

SWEET PRECIOUS VALIDATION! HOO HA HA HA !

If we were truely smart, surely we'd have taken up the triangle!!

As an aside, is Moon the loon really the best example to try and convince the world of these new findings? ;-)

as a frustrated drummer, i have always respected drummers. i have always wanted to know how you do what you do. since i have been playing i have even more respect for you guys.

drums are really 8 different instruments (5 piece + HH + cymbals) which must be played simultaneously...like a plate spinner on Ed Sullivan. (Ted Mack ?)

you folx (guys and gals) are ALL THAT.

here's to you.

That's cool. But the article states "people maintaining a steady beat". You know that's not true for at least half of us ;)

I'm sure I ALWAYS keep a steady beat. It's that damned space/time continuum that keeps fluctuating...

I'm sure I ALWAYS keep a steady beat. It's that damned space/time continuum that keeps fluctuating...

Hahaha! I'll remember to use that excuse next time! The last time I rushed the band to the end of a tune I used the ol' Max Roach explanation: "If what you were playing was cool, I probably woulda' slowed to hear it. But it wasn't!" Only Max could get away with that, though!

If we were truely smart, surely we'd have taken up the triangle!!

As an aside, is Moon the loon really the best example to try and convince the world of these new findings? ;-)

Triangle, less gear, yuk yuk lol

As far as the person who decided to put a pic of Keith up, I think the general consensus of civilians is that Keith Moon is a circus act, with all due respect to Keith's abilities.

So even though the article elevates drummers, someone has to get their digs in by putting up a picture that severely detracts from the mental picture of an intelligent man. A picture of Max Roach or (insert your favorite intelligent drummer here) would have been more fitting.

That's the man keeping us down right there, that's what that be lol.

That's cool. But the article states "people maintaining a steady beat". You know that's not true for at least half of us ;)

Damn, you wiped the smug smile right from my face there ;-)

Mary, I couldn't agree more :)

Ha! Yes, they talked about keeping able to keep a beat, not choosing drums as an instrument. And if your time naturally sucks but you train with a metronome until you have a great pocket, does that mean your IQ has increased?

Nice try, GD :) Larry, you can put the +7 font away too lol

As for using Moonie's pic for the article ... speaking as a cartoonist, he's perfect.

Well, I like to think it's half true anyway. Musicians in general can be smart because they're dealing with so much just being able to play the instrument. But sometimes were stupid because the whole focus is on playing that dang instrument and not the big picture, eh?

I think music is the big picture.

I thought the point of having Moon illustrating the article was to say 'you might have thought from looking at Keith Moon that he was out of his mind and couldn't construct a sentence, but it turns out that he might have been secretly quite intelligent'. I wouldn't have interpreted it as a jab at drummers.

It only says steady beat, not perfect. Even mechanical and digital metronomes miss a beat one in a while. As for Moon most of us only saw his chemically induced state so he could have been a genius as far as we know.

Back