Using a Youth/Junior set for micro kit...

jkevn

Been reading and looking at the kits to convert a floor tom to a kick drum for a small "gig" set for my son.
While keeping an eye on CL for used floor toms, I come across a Youth set, bass and one mounted tom, for cheap. So, thinks me, it's got a 16" kick (with real BD hoops) with spurs and a mounting set up that could be used for a cymbal or even mounting a small snare on an arm.
Has anyone else played with this idea?

Just to be clear....the idea was to build a small gig kit out of available gear, not purchase a new kit. Though, the kid kits are cheaper than "jungle" kits.....

The best kids kit that I have ever seen is the Tama Stagestar.
I own one, I play it all the time and I love it.
The kit has been discontinued but there are a few left to be had for a good price.
I bought mine to use as an inexpensive jazz/bop kit because I read on a jazz forum that jazzers use these kits for practice and small gigs.
If I were you, I wouldn't miss this chance to get one for this close out price. $400 new!
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...83038&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=529831027

Here is a thread that shows some pics of mine.
I did my homework and I spent a lot of time researching this kit and it paid off.
I use it for small gigs and practicing with my band in a small 10x10 room.
Out of my 4 kits that range from a vintage Gretsch, Pearl Rhythm Traveler, to a ddrum/ Pearl hybrid kit that I put together from eBay finds. This kit is one of my favorites.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55218

Here is one on sBay http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-Stagestar-...emZ220702496346QQcategoryZ38097QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
ludwig makes a junior accent kit, granted it's still an accent but far superior to any of the other kid's kits i've seen. i see those all the time on craigslist for pretty cheap, new they only run $200 for a 5 piece kit. it's also got a 16" bass drum, 8", 10' mounted toms, 14" floor tom and a 13" snare.

my kid has one of those kits and the drums themselves aren't that bad. when i bought it for him the guy at the drum shop told me they were real popular with adults for small gigging kits.

My "son" is in college. He has a set of Pearls with a rack and countless cymbals and other noise makers. He plays a Djembe and a cajon in intimate lil gigs around campus. He's into contemporary/worship music with a rock flair.

My thoughts were to build a kit kinda like the Mayor's "bumble bee" kit from acquired drums.
I found the junior set while looking. It's in the 25 - 30 dollar range if that gives a little perspective into the proposed cash outlay.

The problem with the true Jr kits is that they simply cant take a tuning and a playing from an adult drummer.
The tension rods and the hoops simply aren't strong enough to handle an adult drummer.

You will have to find an 18 or 16 inch floor tom from an adult kit and install a riser and spurs on it. Say $100 used
$90 for the riser and the spur kit. http://www.vintagedrum.com/item/Trick-Floor-Tom-To-Bass-Drum-Conversion-Kit
You then need a snare stand to hold the mounted tom. $50
Total $240

That is the reason why I simply bought the Stagestar kit. It can take an adult player and it sounds good..
I bought the drums used for about $200.
I had to buy a used snare and hat stand $75
I had to buy two used cymbal stands $60
I made my own bass drum riser. $10 for hardware
The bass drum already had spurs plus a tom mount.
I already had a good foot pedal
I spent a total of $345 for the drums and stands, etc.
$100 more for good Aquarian drum heads.
Total $445

I then bought $900 worth of Istanbul Agop cymbals for the kit to complete it.

Gruntersdad spent hundreds of dollars on his "Bee" kit also.

Just buy the Stagestar for $400 and put good heads on it and you will be done for $500.
See what I mean?

Last edited:
That was the root of my question, money ain't the worry so much. While looking at the expense and trouble of turning a floor tom into a little bass drum....I wondered if using a little bass drum would short cut the process. I understand your point about the durability and tuning issue with what basically was designed as a toy.

Thanks for the insight

You're Welcome
I hope that all of my research helped.
Its hard to find a small bass drum that is ready to go.
There aren't many good small bass drums made now-a-days.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I was looking for a 14x20 inch black bass drum.
I bought the last Pearl Forum all black bass drum that was in the US Pearl warehouse for $214
It is 16x20.
It is last years model. This years model is 18x20.
I couldn't find a real good 14x 20 bass drum anywhere for that price. I wanted a bass drum that either was, or looked, new for this kit.
Here is a link to the thread about that kit. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68618

Last edited:
Also take a look at the Yamaha Manu Katche jr. kit. Although it doesnt have wood bassdrum hoops, it comes as a complete package and was ment to be used both for kids as well as adult kit with the well known Yamaha quality. Read some pretty good revieuws on forums.

I stole a kids First Act drum set a little while back (not proud of some of the things ive done), And i used it to to make my 5 piece into an 7. I have to say it didnt sound good, but it wan't as bad as i thought it would be. I didnt use the kick as a small kick, but for a slightly larer rack tom instead

Shameful Rick, just shameful....

... when i bought it for him the guy at the drum shop told me they were real popular with adults for small gigging kits.

I, too, am looking for a micro micro kit, and I have been tempted to test the waters
with a 200 - 300 junior kit from Ludwig or ddrum. [D1]

For the people saying it can't take an adult pounding: note that, for jazz, there Won't be an adult pounding. At least there's not supposed to be. The venues we have for jazz in my region want compact trios at very low volume. Would love to actually hear from someone who has succeeded with a junior kit in a jazz setting.

Frank, I believe that the Accent Jr's toms have only 4 lugs. Same with the D1.
That is one reason why I picked the 6 lug Tama Stagestar aside from the hardware that is twice as strong and the 14x18 bass drum.
The Tama is only 100 dollars more new.

You will want to tight tune for Jazz play.
There will also possibly come a time when you will use the kit for a rock gig in a small setting.

Last edited:
I have seen those vids before.
They are amusing.

You can hear that the kids drums in the vids do not have the tuning ability to pass as a gig kit.
The 4 lugs just won't cut it.

Even on my Pearl Rhythm Traveler I had to install new stronger claws on the bass drum because I couldn't tension the lugs enough for a tight tune without bending the claws.

The six lug hoops on my 14 inch Tama Stagestar floor tom are just strong enough to handle a tight tune.

I have to agree with Bob on this. The ddrum jr kit didn't sound that bad to me, but its obviously not well made. Who knows how it would be to tune, or how well it would hold up in the long run. I wouldn't spend $200 or $250 on this, when for $400 I can find a used Gretsch Catalina Club or even a new Sonor Bop kit? There are a few new Sonor bop and jungle kits on eBay right now, being offered by authorized dealers for $400. These are still a compromise, but would serve you better than the ddrum jr, in my opinion.

Back