Brush Work. On the snare.

Does anyone turn the snare off while playing brushes?? A lot of what I have been listening to sounds like it///??? Maybe I just am not hearing it right.

As allways thanks in advance.
Don///////

Does anyone turn the snare off while playing brushes?? A lot of what I have been listening to sounds like it///??? Maybe I just am not hearing it right.

Don///////

Absolutely some do, and some don't so it depends on who you're listening to. Older masters like Papa Jo Jones and even Ed Thigpen turned their snares off while more modern players like Elvin have not and people like Paul Motian have alternated between both. It's about whatever sound you hear and whatever feels right to you.

G

Get his book 'The Sound of Brushes' - it's a great book on bush work. A very fine book from a very fine artist.

I personally play the brushes with the snares off but putting them can make some cool stuff too but MOST of the time when I play the brushes I turn them off. I just a personal choice and love it that way! :D

Don///////

Depends on the tune and my mood.

For latin tunes, I usually always turn them off, so I can get a pseudo-timbale sound. For blues, I usually always leave them on...

I turn the snares off if there i a need to change the sound a bit. I use brushes quite a bit in one particular act. There are alot of shuffle and 12/8 tunes. I turn the snares off to keep it interesting, add a different sound hue and texture. I like the snares off on darker tunes. If that makes any sense.

I always have the snares off when playing brushes.

Thanks guys. I allways thought the hi end was the snare. Now I see the brush itself gives it that sound. Very interesting both ways. I got my work cut out for me. I am new, but I just love the bursh. I like sitting with just the snare and brush late at night with a cold beer. It can put you in a real groove kinda like a sax man playing real low out his window.

I love to play with snare on... I can play with the wires and creat nice sounds I hope... Like André Ceccarelli...
Check this guys, he's one of my favourite brush player...
But for snare off or on, it really depend on the tune... but like with it...

Just another question. I can play a rim shot off my left hand and get a hell of a triplet bounce. I can hardly hear the rim...It really sounds great.

With my right hand I get like a big rim sound with little or no response to the brush on the head.
This has me puzzled. I have tryed everthing. Differant grips, angle, force of the stroke.ect.
I just dont get it..??????

I love to play with snare on... I can play with the wires and creat nice sounds I hope... Like André Ceccarelli...
Check this guys, he's one of my favourite brush player...
But for snare off or on, it really depend on the tune... but like with it...

Yes I've seen Andre, really IMPRESSIVE!

And yes you can get a very nice sound with the snares on but like you saida, depends on the tune! :D

depend on the tune is the first thing you have to think...

And don't forget there is no absolute rule ... Just listen to your sound and try to sound as good as possible...

but that's my opinion...

Back