Practice Without a Drum set

BrutalKid

I don't have a drumset at home. Because my mom says it is a very loud instrument so she decided to not to buy one for me.

Does anyone have idea how to practice without a kit? I know I can use practice on a practice pad, but how about the feet?

Thanks for helping and reading.

You can buy an electronic kit. They are fairly cheap and are totally quiet.

Drumworkshop and Remo manufacture wonderful practice pad kits.

There many products that are desinged to silence a drumset and cymbals as well.

Research these options with your mother, express your interest in percussion as a dicipline not as a hobby or as if it is just another toy or distraction.

Sometimes it is the way you explain yourself to your mother that makes all the difference.

Hi "kid"!

I have a practice pad on the market called the P4, that is like having a "mini drum set" on one pad. It has 4 different pads, and 3 different levels.

The top pad is like a ride cymbal, the middle pads feel lie toms, and the bottom pad is a real natural rubber with a response like a snare drum.

For less than the price of a practice pad kit, this would provide you with the feel of movement of a drumset, and is quite as well. Then you can then get a kik pad for your bass drum work.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...=900228086&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=40250

Good luck with mom! Always remember, she loves ya! ;)

Attachments

• P4Pad2008NUGREYresize.jpg
    P4Pad2008NUGREYresize.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 11,631
I would save up money and try to get one because nothing is like playing a real set. I would also have to disagree on electric sets, I got one and they are more expensive than a real set and they just don't feel the same.

Drumworkshop and Remo manufacture wonderful practice pad kits.

There many products that are desinged to silence a drumset and cymbals as well.

Research these options with your mother, express your interest in percussion as a dicipline not as a hobby or as if it is just another toy or distraction.

Sometimes it is the way you explain yourself to your mother that makes all the difference.

Great idea!
Thanks for the help and kindness!
I think an eletronic one may fit me.

I don't have a drumset at home. Because my mom says it is a very loud instrument so she decided to not to buy one for me.
Does anyone have idea how to practice without a kit? I know I can use practice on a practice pad, but how about the feet?
E-kits with headphones make almost no external noise (quieter than a RockBand drum kit). The new Guitar Hero kit (ION for $299) is also a fine beginner kit, so if you are a gamer, you can kill two birds with one stone. If it is about the $$$, slap your thighs and stomp your feet. Remember, learning to play drums isnt all about what you do on the kit. You can count and keep beat without spending a dime.

There were a couple of ideas posted a while back that had home made practice pad ideas even for the kick pedals.. all you actually needed was a pedal and you could modify it into a practice pedal.

Not sure where that thread is now anymore...

If you can afford an E-kit, go for it. It's the closest you can get to quiet drumming.

If you can't, practice pads are the way to go. And foot exercises can range from muscle exercise to coordination exercises. Nothing can truly replace the feel of a pedal but it doesn't mean you can't practice without one. (For more specific ideas you can drop me a PM)

Remember, practice on the drumset is obviously the best option, but it doesn't mean you can't practice without it. Practicing drums ain't just about playing the drums. Just like how training for the 100m dash doesn't involve just running 100m over and over again. There are all sorts of cross training exercises you can do.

Back