Any good Polyrhythm book to start with?

Feuerlink

Hello !

Ive been getting into polyrhythms lately by listening some Tool´s stuff and other great Players Like Mangini , and I really want to learn some of this Patterns and stuff , Can anyone recommend me some Instructional books , Ive seen The Peter Magadini´s book , is it good , any other suggestions???

Thanks!

Gavin Harrison's Rhythmic Illusions. That's just some of the greatest and most fundamental stuff I've read. It's so full of great polyrhythmic variations. My recommendations. It may not be for the beginner tho, try searching on youtube for some stuff to begin with.

I can't recommend a specific book, but what I tend to do is notate two rhythms I would like to be able to play and then combine them to one stave. Then I read it slowly as one complete pattern.

I'd recommend Paul Delong's DeLong Way to Polyrhythm Creativity On The Drum set. I haven't started it yet but I've been reading some pages and playing them in my mind and they are EXCELLENT. He even gives examples of some great artists that use polyrhythms and how did they inspired him to create his own.

I recommend this book!! :D

Get the Gary Chaffee books. Rhythm and Meter studies would be a good start. His stickings system will more effectively teach you "melodies" of various polyrhythms than anything I've ever seen and this will enable you to melodically associate any combination ( i.e., knowing what 5 over 3 sounds like... 7 over 4... etc.) in any given situation where you might need it.

Get the STICK CONTROL !!!

write some bass-drum/hi-hat pattern and play the book with...

Really really difficult and helpfull... ...

So... Im between Gary chaffe´s , Peter Magadini´s or Gavin Harrison´s....

which one , should I pick first??! and Which one is the most useful ?

Harrison's books are great. I have them both. He details how to break down any poly.

Mikle Mangini's Rhythm Knowledge Vol 1 and II are absolute must have's.

So... Im between Gary chaffe´s , Peter Magadini´s or Gavin Harrison´s....

which one , should I pick first??! and Which one is the most useful ?

Chaffe's and Harrisons are both great and you should check them both out. There is a great chapter about Polyrhythm also in Beyond Bop Drumming by John Riley that has a focus on jazz (which can be translated to any other style though). But its really difficult.

Like Jeff said: Manginis books are a must as well.

Marco Minnemanns "Extreme Interdependence" is also interesting.

Basically you should check them all out and then decide what is for you and what is not. I have all these books and wouldn't want to miss one in my collection because they all have a different focus.

Well thanks , I think I´ll pick Harrison´s and Mangini´s first , Although Ive read that Magadini´s book is one of the best for polyrhythms , but I think It might be limited in excercises and Info...

Back