Information Overload! How do you sift through the overflow of digital material?

How about in terms of your influences and how they've shaped you as a drummer over the years? We've all wanted to be (ex.buddy) or whoever growing up right?

No, not really. I started off playing along to vinyl, but I was always more interested in how good the song was not the drummer. I never wanted to be "like" a certain drummer.

I don't. I simply don't have time.

Part of me thinks if all this existed way back when, I would have ended up a much better drummer. It's so easy now to see how a particular groove, fill, song, whatever is played. As opposed to trying to figure it out, thinking maybe you have it when you don't, or finding out the only reason you don't have down is because the drummer put the tom/china/whatever in a different spot that makes it easier to play.

And with so much information, it's easier to see how much great talent out there their is to keep up with. Rather than being a teenager in the 80's, hearing Bon Jovi or whatever on the radio and thinking, ok, I can do that, so I guess I'm doing alright.

On the other hand, I if I were a young drummer today, I think it would be too easy to just get distracted and forget to actually practice (see Bo's post).

How about in terms of your influences and how they've shaped you as a drummer over the years? We've all wanted to be (ex.buddy) or whoever growing up right?

I'm old enough to have had to go and actually see my heroes in person. Anything they said I read about in a magazine or heard a radio interview, the internet just wasn't available to me in the 70s and 80s. That's when most of my influences hit me. There are a lot of new drummers that influence me these days, but they've all been influenced by my influences, so if that's the case, there's no point in getting into them as much.

Back