reskinning my kit

joeysnare

Silver Member
im finally after years deciding to reskin my entire kit, i have a pearl ex serise made of poplar made around 2005 i think, im playing a metal/ death metal show soon and im looking for a nice combo of skins for my toms that will give me not too much resonance but a nice full tone, any suggestions?

I found emperor batters over ambassador reso's always worked well for Exports when I played them. G2's over G1's if you prefer Evans.

Ditto, very versatile heads, as opposed to pinstripes and EC2s which you periodically hear complaints about them being too muffled/dead. Now comes the hard part; coated or clears?

My secondary set is an export that i purchased in 1990 and i found the best combo for heavy playing (IMO) is REMO Ebony Pinstripes over Ebony Resos.

Plus it looks cool!

Now comes the hard part; coated or clears?

Yes indeedy....I used to go from one to the other just about every head swap. I told myself it was for variety, but in reality I think it was more because I could never settle on one. I like both. I'm running coated at the moment.....but no guarantees that won't change again next head swap.

well i went remo pin stripes over clear ambassadors, tuned em low, i dont think my drums have ever had so much punch :)

im finally after years deciding to reskin my entire kit, i have a pearl ex serise made of poplar made around 2005 i think, im playing a metal/ death metal show soon and im looking for a nice combo of skins for my toms that will give me not too much resonance but a nice full tone, any suggestions?

Remo Coated Emperors overe Clear Ambassadors sound like they fit that description, it's the combo Gavin Harrison uses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSaaHsMXCag

Hope that's of help,

Kev

Edit: damn! forgot the Threads show the earliest Post at the bottom when you're logged in, disregard my reply in that case.

Ya the pins do sound punchy on those drums. I tuned the same kit for a guy a while back and he had ebony pins all around xcept snare. I was surprised how punchy they were.
Pretty decent tuning range as well. The trick with the pins is you got bring them up a bit in order to open them up. They didn't sound good at JAW. They were dead, but a little higher than that they opened up and sounded great. good luck and good choice.

Back