Are drum racks hard to transport

Lots of people say that it's easier to play out with a rack. You put the carpet down. Mark out where your bass drum goes and where the rack goes and just carry out the bass drum and place the rack on the rug with everything already attached and then rock out.

It depends on how many drums and cymbals that you use on your kit.

For the average five piece kit with two crashes and a ride it is not worth the effort to move and set up a drum rack.

The main advantage of the rack is that with the use of memory clamps the exact same set up can be achieved every time.

Racks are not hard to break down and move.
They do cost a bit more than stands by the time that you buy everything that you need for all of the cymbals and the drums.

Because I play little 4-piece drum sets, I would say, "yes". In fact, a rack is unnecessary for somebody like me.

However, I did have a Roland TD-10 V-drum kit that came with a rack, and it was situated in such a way that you could fold it in on itself for transport. I shifted all the mounts around so they wouldn't collide when I folded up the rack. On that I could see the clear use of the rack because you're dealing with alot of cables and I would drape those along the rack. But other than that, that's the only time I've ever used a rack.

Morningstardrummer, it will make setting all your stuff up very close to the same way every time much easier. It will probably be a bit faster to set up. But unless you have a very large car, truck, or van, you will still have to put the rack together to some extent at the club, then mount your drums and cymbals on them. Use memory locks to help you get your tubes at the right place every time and keep them there.

I'm getting double bass, 3 mounted toms, 2 floors toms, and about 10 cymbals.

You're definitely a good candidate for a rack! I have a five-piece kit and five cymbals. I just bought the chrome series GCS-450C 3-sided rack. So far, I love it. I haven't used it out yet but I will in a couple of weeks. I'll report back about the travel situation. I bought a Gator bag (with a hard back) just for the rack. I'm glad I did. Broken down, the rack has some heft to it. Also, you'll want a case so you don't scuff up the shiny metal.

Here's what I bought:
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=2461&sid=85&cid=31

Last edited:
I thinking of getting the tama power tower, have 2 main racks in front and 2 side racks...or do you think i should get the gibraltar double bass rack and use 2 side racks.

O and everyone says use memory lock, where can I get it

The Gibraltar model I linked earlier came with memory locks for each multiclamp. So, the front curved bar came with two, and then one on each side. To be honest, I have not had any slippage without the memory locks. Some feel that it's good to have them nonetheless just in case something does slip.

I've heard of drummers mounting floor toms on the rack and not having it slip. Then, I read where someone claims a crash cymbal moved on them. I think with a little common sense (meaning make sure the clamps are properly tightened when setting up), you should be fine.

I was in a store before I bought my rack and put all my weight on a multiclamp. I mean, I really pushed on that thing to try to make it move. Nothing. Next, I tried to do the same with a boom arm mounted to the multiclamp. Still, nothing. And I wasn't holding back either!

I'm very happy so far with the Gibraltar rack. They make really good stuff and I'm looking forward to customizing my setup as I go.

Hope that helps!

Is it harder to move and set up a drum rack then use cymbal stands and tom stands?

I think so. I have both and gigged for a while with a Gibraltar three sided rack. I had to break the rack down to get it into my SUV with the other drums, etc.. It was a struggle to set up and tear down and it's even worse when your short on set-up time or your trying to get the hell out of the club at the end of the night. I use six cymbals + hats when I play and I can fit them all on two cymbal stands and a Hi-Hat stand. My rack stays in my drum room, and I can now leave my hardware case packed for when I gig.

yeah...not necesarrily minded for the ease of movement. While racks do a great job at minimizing the footprint, the tubes are bigger than broken-down stands and there isn't a whole bunch of cases specifically designed for housing the tubes and booms. I've found that there are some pretty decent alternatives but it really depends on what you're using to move it. If you're driving a Honda civic, a rack isn't easy to move...quickly. Having memory locks for the booms and mounts makes things much faster. Again, there are some things that can make it easier. I have a truck, and we use an enclosed trailer for travel gigs. All of our stuff plus the drums and the rack (folded like a zig-zag, all fit very conveniently. Two people can carry my whole ensemble and just "unfold it" , pop on the drums, cymbals and throw the bass drums under it, add a snare and bass pedal...good to go. For the local gigs...the zigzag fits in the bed of the truck and if it's raining, under the tonneau when broken down a little more.

All in all, I'd have to say that you should measure not only if a rack fit's your needs and wants, depending on where your'e going to use it...travelling and playing out and such vs just staying at home. How much rack do you want and/or need? What do you have to transport it with etc etc etc.

Just thoughts...

The main catch is ..... what kind of vehicle ... are you using .... for transportation?​
My drum set grew and grew, until around 1980, a car/wagon just wasn't cutting it, anymore. Once I made the leap into a van (or truck), the rack was a lifesaver.​
I had a 3 sided Pearl rack. I never took the cymbal arms off it. Just folded it. Never took my rack tom off it's snare stand (1 up, 2 down). Never collapsed my floor tom legs.​
I was onstage, up and running and/or offstage almost as fast as any guitarist or bass player.​

Lots of people say that it's easier to play out with a rack. You put the carpet down. Mark out where your bass drum goes and where the rack goes and just carry out the bass drum and place the rack on the rug with everything already attached and then rock out.

The main advantage of the rack is that with the use of memory clamps the exact same set up can be achieved every time.

I would just like to point out that you can achieve quick, repeatable setup with stands, too. I only play a 4-piece, so a rack would be stupid. But my kid plays a 7-piece with ride, 2 crashes, 2 chinas, and splash. All of the above are mounted on just two stands (along with the 8" tom), the rug is marked, the stands are memory locked out the wazoo, and we generally get set up before the guitarists have figured out where to plug in their amps. ;-) Sets up exactly the same way every time, in just a few minutes.

The main catch is ..... what kind of vehicle ... are you using .... for transportation?​
My drum set grew and grew, until around 1980, a car/wagon just wasn't cutting it, anymore. Once I made the leap into a van (or truck), the rack was a lifesaver.​
I had a 3 sided Pearl rack. I never took the cymbal arms off it. Just folded it. Never took my rack tom off it's snare stand (1 up, 2 down). Never collapsed my floor tom legs.​
I was onstage, up and running and/or offstage almost as fast as any guitarist or bass player.​

Bingo. If my kid's kit were traveling in a band truck I'd consider a rack. With a car, not so much.

So long as you have the real estate in a vehicle to accomodate the tubes, collapsed or folded, there is no denying that a rack is ultimately faster and more convienient than conventional stands. With memory locks that are notched for angle and set degree of rotation for the vertical tubes and cymbal booms eliminates height-hunting and adjustments.

The size of the kit is irrelevant. Whatever becomes your priority for having a rack, and use of a rack is what is most important. Obviously a three sided rack for a four piece and two cymbals isn't logical...but a single frame rack with a wing is certainly is applicable. All of those variables belong to you and should be considered along the way. not to mention...it's your kit, how you present it and how you play it, regardless of how it looks or how you got it there is what counts. Sure enough, there is someone playing a tiny kit with a dozen cymbals, bells, and blocks that chooses to use a rack...his choice. What's yours?

Back