Bass drum head: coated Emperor or...

The Edge

Coated Pinstripe for a 22" Yamaha maple MCA. I'll be playing rock. These are my choices.
What would you guys choose?

Last edited:
I also like a single ply head, so I've been using Evans EQ4 batter heads for the last two and a half years on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute bass drum. If I had to make a choice of the two you mention, it would have to be an Emperor just because I don't care much for the Pinstripe series of heads.

Dennis

I prefer a 2 ply on my kick, mainly for durability. I play alot and I want that assurance of 2 ply. What do you like about the PS3? What do you not like about the pinstripes?

I prefer a 2 ply on my kick, mainly for durability. I play alot and I want that assurance of 2 ply. What do you like about the PS3? What do you not like about the pinstripes?

Pinstripes have three layers of muffling built in: coating, double ply, and muffle ring. Thats a little too much built in muffling for most of us. PS3 only has the coating and the muffle ring. Plus the PS3 has become a industry standard kick drum head for its general popularity. You can get more volume out of a single ply head in my opinion, that's why I prefer it.

Now if Remo would make the vintage ambassador in bass drum sizes...... that might be a wonderful compromise and a wonderful thing in general.

Back