Breaking sticks

aahznightsky

Pioneer Member
EDIT: I don't break sticks very often anymore.

Last edited:
Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

I use Thomas Lang Signature sticks and I break about one stick every one or two practices. My record so far is three sticks in less than 10 minutes.

In response to your problem though it may be because of the way your cymabls are posistioned or if your using too much rim when you hit the drums.

Breaking sticks is normal. But expensive...

You might actually want to try 5b carbo sticks or ahead. They might last you a lot longer.

Thinshells said:
You might actually want to try 5b carbo sticks or ahead. They might last you a lot longer.

Trust me you dont want to try either of those. They don't feel like wood, they don't play like wood, because they are not wood. I have your problem with breaking lots of sticks. I suck it up because I play hard and I enjoy playing hard. I like the Vater sticks, they do seem a bit more dense sometimes that some of the VF's. If you like 5B I highly recommend the Vater Chad Smith Funk Blasters.

I really dont understand how people break so many sticks. I've had the pair I'm using for at least 4 months.

Vater's are great, I think they do last longer than many sticks. They feel more solid to me, and I've tried most of the other brands. I use the 5B Wood, 5B Nylon, and 5B Xtreme models.

I've heard about Silver Fox sticks being very durable, too. Haven't tried those out just yet.

Ok I said this Before has anyone Tried Vater COLOR WRAP DRUMSTICKS has anyone tried them yet they look pretty cool if you have tell me about them..

http://www.vater.com/

Superlow said:
Trust me you dont want to try either of those. They don't feel like wood, they don't play like wood, because they are not wood. I have your problem with breaking lots of sticks. I suck it up because I play hard and I enjoy playing hard. I like the Vater sticks, they do seem a bit more dense sometimes that some of the VF's. If you like 5B I highly recommend the Vater Chad Smith Funk Blasters.

Fair enough, the balance and response is different than wood. But for someone that really hits hard, it might be an alternative.

FWIW: I have both to try (carbostick 5b and ahead 2b) and they just don't balance or feel right.

My favorite is either 5b or 747 at this point.

Sounds to me like less of a stick problem and more of a technique problem. You're obviously hitting the rims alot and WAY too hard to be breaking sticks with that frequency.

I'll show you my broken stick collection although there's two pares missing I'll post up a pic later.

I would not consider myself a pro, but I can tell you this.
I've been playing drums for about three and a half years and tried a lot of different sticks. Ones would last 1 week while others would last 4 months (Vic Firth Rock 7A, which are WAY too big in my opinion). Of course, when I was more of a beginner, I did not notice the differences in sticks sizes. Now I have found the ones for me. It happens to be : - Zildjian 5B wood sticks
- Pro Mark Millenium II 5A
(Both are made from american hickory)

They last approximately 1 and a half month to 2 months each for me on a religious 2 hrs pratice session per day. I am not a hard hardcore metal hitter, but I still hit quite hard. They are solid enough, because I never broke these in two, it's just the tip that looses chips after 4-5 weeks of use.

I mostly practice on Rush, Dream Theater and System of a Down, so it can give you an idea of my hit style and strengh. I use both traditional and match grip.
Sorry for the long post, I am one of those who love to speak and elaborate. Hope it could help!

hi everyone,

well i bought a pair of $10 no name, scrappy, crappy sticks and they are the bomb!

I kid you not!

I am no noob in regard to sticks either, I normally use vic first 5a's for a bit of warm up, then switch around with brushes, hot rods and then onto the vader 3a jazz sticks.

at any rate, I picked up these old dodgy sticks out of a bin marked "$10 a set, must go" and started playing with them...........a delight. and they have lasted me 3 months.

I think its just a matter of trying anything regardless of name to find........"the perfect pair".........*waits for Vic Firth summons to court for copyright breach*

anyway, have a good one guys.

I'm all for the crappy bargain sticks too...I've tried the carbos, they lasted maybe another month, not worth the extra $15. Most of those bargain bins are made by the big companies anyway, and I find they last just as long at three bucks a pair. That's where it's at for me anyway...

Your solution if you like VF 5B and find the Vater 5B's too heavy. Vater Chad smith Funk Blasters. I Bought a batch of the Vater 5B's recently. They have been lasting much longer that the VF 5B, admittedly they are a bit heavier but they feel nice, I go through a pair every 3-4 sittings.

You're breaking 5Bs? Holy crap. Then again, if you're playing a 4 hour gig, daily, you're going to break sticks far more often than 1 pair per month. When I was gigging regularly, I'd break them once a week - or at least chew threw a single stick on my hi-hat or shatter a shank from heavy rimshots.

I do hear the Vic Firth quality thing. I switched to Vaters because of low quality in the VF sticks I was purchasing.

aahznightsky said:
I've totaled three pairs of sticks so far on my new drumset since I got it, probably around two months back. Is that too often? I use vic firth 5B's, and I'm thinking I've trying Vater to see if they're more durable ... either their 5B or the Josh Freese signature

what do you think? Am I breaking these things too often and I should try tougher sticks? I know there was a thread a while back about vic firth losing quality and stuff ....

My sticks

taping them with "stick tape" works really well. I taped a cracked stick and it last for a awhile. so try that. Or use thie white electrical tape, (which is what I use)

aahznightsky said:
these arent four hour gigs haha. these are 10 hour practice sessions .... probably around half spent on the drums and half on a pad
10 Hours dude! WOW how do you find the hours in a day for that?

Then I'd consider 3 pairs every 2 months pretty good!

aahznightsky said:
these arent four hour gigs haha. these are 10 hour practice sessions .... probably around half spent on the drums and half on a pad

Sounds like you've got some good advice here, let's review...

1. you play A LOT for long periods of time...breakage increases
2. you play fairly hard, with lots of rim shots
3. you're using a large stick...

When I was younger, I broke a lot of sticks, so I'd bought those "bucket" sticks for dirt cheap my shop had on sale, usually no-namers.

However, once my playing got better, and I began to mature as a musician, I found I stopped hitting so hard, and started pulling the sound out of the drum, which sounded better, fit in better with the band, and saved on sticks.

I also noticed I broke most of my stick because I was hitting the shoulder hard on the bell of my ride, trying to cut through the wall of sound my guitarist was putting up. One well placed hit was all it took to snap the shaft. Watch out for that...

The other thing you might try, is using little or no muffle on your drums. This will make them much louder, but also increase the ringing, which may cause you not to hit the rim so hard, if a tap gets your sound...

Good luck

aahznightsky said:
I've totaled three pairs of sticks so far on my new drumset since I got it, probably around two months back. Is that too often? I use vic firth 5B's, and I'm thinking I've trying Vater to see if they're more durable ... either their 5B or the Josh Freese signature

what do you think? Am I breaking these things too often and I should try tougher sticks? I know there was a thread a while back about vic firth losing quality and stuff ....

My sticks
3 pairs in two months??

man i have gone through about 6 in the last two months

2 pairs of VF 3a and 4 pair of VF F1

i also practice at least an hour a day. not to mention church rehearsals and playing about 6 times a month at church.

Back