Advice on buying a Ludwig Element Lacquer

ludwigbuyer

Hello Drummerworld friends!

I've been drumming for several years now, but always on a Maxtone beginner set (which I liked very much anyway). Now it is the first time to get a more medium level drum. I am willing to invest 800 - 1000 euros on this.

I have an offer for a Ludwig Element Lacque Centennial Edition drum. Here are the specs:
-3 toms : 12"x9", 13"x10", 16"x16"
-Snare : 14"x6.5"
-Bass drum : 22"x18"
-Hardware : HiHat pedal, bass pedal, both cymbal stands
-Cymbals: 14" HiHat, 16" Crash and 20" Ride (don't know the brand but must be a starting level cymbal set)
-Price: 870 euros (I live in France), which is US$1125 as of today.

The price that I found for this set (new, only the drums, no hardware nor cymbals) on a French site is 733,40 euros (US$950). Consider that drums (and everything else) are more expensive in France than in the US.

The seller claims that he almost has not used it since the purchase one year ago. I would very much like to have a Ludwig set, but I'm not sure about the price. I will go test these drums next Saturday, I think I will be able to reduce that price a little bit.

What do you guys think about this set? Does the "Centennial Edition" tag add a little bit of value to these drums?

I have an offer for a Ludwig Element Lacque Centennial Edition drum. Here are the specs:
-3 toms : 12"x9", 13"x10", 16"x16"
-Snare : 14"x6.5"
-Bass drum : 22"x18"
-Hardware : HiHat pedal, bass pedal, both cymbal stands
-Cymbals: 14" HiHat, 16" Crash and 20" Ride (don't know the brand but must be a starting level cymbal set)
-Price: 870 euros (I live in France), which is US$1125 as of today.

Consider that drums (and everything else) are more expensive in France than in the US.

What do you guys think about this set? Does the "Centennial Edition" tag add a little bit of value to these drums?
Personally, the tag wouldn't make me wanna flip any more money out. Maybe, 20 years from now, the "Cen. Ed." tag might up their value, a tad, to a collector, but that's speculation. For kit, hardware, and cymbals ... sounds like a pretty fair deal .... being France is higher than US. And sure, try to reduce the price. As they say, "money talks"! Wave 750/800 euros at him .... he might bite.​
Those are great little "workhorse" kits. A cat I know plays one, and he's in a working Blues Band. He's been gigging with it, for 3 years now. Never had a problem.​
Me, I've got 3 Ludwig kits. A vintage Club Date, a vintage red Vistalite, and a 80's 6 ply (26, 13, 16, 18). I own a few "other" brands, too .... but you can't go wrong with Ludwig.​
Oh, welcome to Drummerworld.​

Thank you harry! I think I'll go for it if they accept a little discount. I found strange that the little 8' tom isn't included...

mm yeah I just found an EPIC hyperdrive at 890 euros, the same price as the element. But then I have to buy the accessories and the cymbals, that would add up to at least 300 euros more...

Looking carefully at the photo I saw that the cymbals are Meinl MCS. I think its a starter level cymbal. What do you guys think?

Sure, I would expect they "were" beginner cymbals. But, looking at Meinl cymbal MCS pack prices, hats, ride, 1 crash, costs $220. Slightly more that your "bottom of the barrel" starter packs. Sound is the key, however, not price. Figure (US prices, your's will probably be more in France) that a hardware pack will run you $199 - $249. Also, your list didn't mention a snare stand. You'll need that.​
Starter cymbal packs (hats, crash, ride) $129. Slightly better (and with 2 crash) $249.​
So this is where "you" have to research, make notes. What's available new/used in your area .... and comparison shop. Getting into hi-end cymbals .... expensive. Even used. All my cymbals I bought used. My Istanbul Mehmet Turks 20" ride $162 ......15" hats $218 ....... 14" crashes (I have 3) $94 to $117.​
So ..... you have to figure out "how much of a drum set do you need"? Look down the road. Are you gonna be a lifelong drummer, and eventually have all pro-gear? If yes is the answer, then maybe you wanna start upgrading to hi-end gear now. Why keep going baby steps? If your Maxtone kit has functional stands, and it ain't falling apart, put your money into good hats, ride, crash. High end cymbals can/should last you a lifetime. Then, upgrade your snare. All the while, save up for your "next purchase". Maybe a better bass pedal. Get all "those" pieces together, and then you by your drums as a shell pack. No stands, no cymbals, no snare, just kick and toms. That's the way I've always bought drums, since 1980. Then the kit is taylored to you, not some other guy.​
Of course, sometimes nothing short of different equipment (new, or used) is what a guy wants/needs. And if that's the case, the Ludwig set is a good starting point. Selling some or all of your current kit, will recoup some of your cash outlay.​

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice advice. I didn't mention that the Maxtone kit is in Chile, my country, and now I live in France. And it IS kind of falling apart (I've had it for 10 years, and it has changed of owner at least 2 times before me). I left it to my little brothers.

So I guess I'll get the drums and I'll use it as the base to build up my own custom kit, as you advise

There are some drums in the used market (a Batterie Pearl EXR 22 Fusion for example at 1100euros) but I really got into the idea of buying a ludwig... I don't like Pearl

A friend of mine who plays metal gigs 3 or 4 times a week plus on his Element loves it. It isn't a centennial or anything, but he got it in August I believe, and he's still raving about it. It sounds really nice, and well, he wails on that thing like his life depends on it. It looks really nice under lights or by itself.

Back