What should I do about the uneven gap between hats?

Ameer27

I recently bought a drumset, and I'm having a problem. The gap between the hats is uneven. From one side they are touching each other, and from the other side they are farther.

I tried tightening and loosening the screw underneath the bottom hi-hat, but it didn't help much.

What else should I try? What should I do about this?

Absolutely nothing. I'm yet to see a perfectly square set of hats. It's totally normal. Don't let it bother you.

Oh. Ok. There's one more thing. Apparently the uneven gap is also causing the hats to be uneven against each other. What I mean is, that from one side the bottom hat is prominent. Like it's farther out.

I don't know if I explained it right. If you didn't understand what I mean, please tell me.

Again, perfectly normal mate. It won't harm your hats and the fact that they are uneven actually helps avoid a thing called "air lock" which can make the response of the hats feel a little sluggish when they are splashed with the foot.

Take a close look at pictures of pretty much every drummer out there and you'll see that there is a tilt on every one. The degree may vary....some guys like a lot and others like a little.....but it's there nonetheless. Perfectly parallel hats are next to impossible to achieve once you start hitting them anyway.

Again, perfectly normal mate. It won't harm your hats and the fact that they are uneven actually helps avoid a thing called "air lock" which can make the response of the hats feel a little sluggish when they are splashed with the foot.

Take a close look at pictures of pretty much every drummer out there and you'll see that there is a tilt on every one. The degree may vary....some guys like a lot and others like a little.....but it's there nonetheless. Perfectly parallel hats are next to impossible to achieve once you start hitting them anyway.

Ok. I get it.

Thanks a ton for help. :)

Back