Mr. Itzhak Perlman, ladies and gentlemen.

M

Matt Bo Eder

This popped up on my Facebook feed from a fellow musician friend of mine. And it makes so much sense I thought I'd share the link here. Master violinist Itzhak Perlman discusses practicing and of course, he makes so much sense (he oughta' know).

Especially the part about practicing slowly. Oddly enough, then every HS show choir group is absolutely wrong because I don't recall any of those practicing things slowly, so the kids can work on getting things right - they always practice at tempo, and keep reinforcing those mistakes they constantly make. This is why I recommend study with a qualified teacher in addition to what you learn in school - you need a good balance of right and wrong! Check it out:

http://www.thestrad.com/cpt-latests/violinist-itzhak-perlman-talks-about-practice/

When a virtuoso of his level speaks, we should all stop and listen.

Amazing how every virtuoso speaks of slow practice and the importance of many perfect repetitions.

I guess they're onto something.

I remember running into the idea of practicing at tempo, irrespective of whether or not you're actually playing the passage correctly, in my teens. My teacher and I quickly discarded the idea as untenable. Since then I've thought it dumb. Yet some still cling to it.

It's not about 'talent', it's not even about 'practice'. It's about 'correct practice' and dedication. Correct practice and dedication overpower everything else.

I don't believe in talent. I believe in correct practice. You can be talented and have a headstart but if you don't practice properly then you'll get nowhere.

It's funny, I always learned that when rehearsing Classical music, you practice slowly. When rehearsing a jazz arrangement, you play it faster...

Back