Tailbone is killing me

drummingman

Gold Member
Over the last few months my tailbone has been killing me when I play the drums. I was using a roc n soc motorcycle style throne but I just switched over to a Pork Pie gel top round throne. With both thrones I'm still getting horrible tailbone pain.

What is the softest round throne on the market today? I really need to alleviate this pain!

It may not be just the seat. How is your posture? Are you reaching for the pedals? Just thoughts

Isnt that a terrorist outfit?

( Kidding..tailbone pain sucks, man.. get to a music store and sit on a bunch of em )

One of these might be a goer:

Pearl%20d2000%20throne.jpg

The cut out section goes under your tailbone. Unless you're very lucky and need more space in the front.....

Lower seat heights (higher knees) can transfer weight to the tail bone. Try raising your seat in small increments to see if it helps with the pain.

My guess is that it is more of an issue with seat height and posture than with the thrones - the two you have are excellent. You will probably have experiment a bit.

The other issue is, you have a bursa on the end of your tailbone, and once it is inflamed (bursitis) it can be really difficult to get it calmed down again. I got bursitis on my tailbone from riding bicycles, and I ended up having to get an injection of cortisone. The good news is that, once the cortisone reduced the inflammation, I was able make adjustments to my bike seat and the pain hasn't come back.

Good luck!

it may not be drumming related. perhaps at some point you broke your tailbone (coccix). often with broken bones it takes a while for the pain to show up (often 3 weeks) or maybe it happened years ago and it flares up occasionally (like now, when the seasons are changing).

but it could indeed be posture.

and yes, that throne looks really comfy.

: )

I can relate to this. I usually take several opportunities to stand up during a gig. I spend my days in an office chair, and developed sore-assbone-itis. I got ahead of it by setting up my desk at work as a standing desk for a month. Now I'm fine through the work day, but I get up more often than I used to. I played a 90 minute set last weekend, and stood up 3 or 4 times between songs. The bottom line is, if it hurts, change it. I'm looking at the Pearl throne above, looks perfect. They're also available with a back, which can be turned either way, with the cutout forward or back. Between the notch on one side and the slant on the other, you should be able to find relief. I just looked around Pearl's site, it looks like they aren't making it anymore, but I'd bet it's still in a lot of stores.

The cut out section goes under your tailbone. Unless you're very lucky and need more space in the front.....
Do you have a product number for this throne so I can find it?

My posture is ok. I have never had serious tailbone pain before, and I have been playing drums for 18 years. I don't know why the last few months have been different. But the pain is pretty severe. I only get this pain after sitting on the throne for a bit. And it takes a good while, like hours sometimes, for the pain to go away after I'm done practicing.

This is a posture issue. I would suggest taking Pilatest classes and possibly private sessions. It helped me overcome the same issue and it improved my playing significantly.

Which bone is the tailbone connected to again?

I know that roc-n-soc sells a back support that will connect to your throne. That might help redistribute some of your weight off of your tailbone.

Attachments

• front-seats-image.jpg
    front-seats-image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 774

I laughed outloud at this. I saw the picture and was thinking...hm, that seat can go one of two ways, I wonder which way it goes...

and then I read the rest of the post... :)

I prayed alot about this problem that the Lord would help me find a throne that would help. I bought a round OCDP throne. Praise Jesus problem solved! This throne is the most comfortable throne I have ever owned!

I saw that throne in a GC ad for about $125 on sale. I want one too because my groin goes to sleep from sitting on the throne too long. I have to stand up a lot between song too.

Over the last few months my tailbone has been killing me when I play the drums. I was using a roc n soc motorcycle style throne but I just switched over to a Pork Pie gel top round throne. With both thrones I'm still getting horrible tailbone pain.

What is the softest round throne on the market today? I really need to alleviate this pain!

yeah man, i know what you mean, my brother pushed me off the roof of our house when we were 13. i landed on my butt, broke my tailbone and crawled back into the house, trying not to scream bloody murder....i periodically have issues with it (it was a continuos thing at first). try calcium supplements, man. my mom gave them to me after that incident when it wasn't healing in good time. any time i stop taking them, i notice that it becomes painful after sitting down too long. it usually takes about a month, month and a half to come into effect (for me, might be more or less time depending on your case). it's like it never happened!

I laughed outloud at this. I saw the picture and was thinking...hm, that seat can go one of two ways, I wonder which way it goes...

and then I read the rest of the post... :)

hey....but hey....people have issues with the front and center...it's no joking matter....i have to use that throne to keep my gooch ventilated, or else it looks like i pissed myself while my thing was tucked. nobody say try antiperspirant....i did from the strongest old spice to the sensitive skin chick stuff, and it always ended in the same result.....a RASH!

*the added ball room is quite exhilarating, i must say.

Back