Remo ebony pinstripe or black suede

Tank322

ok so ive been looking at these heads and i just cant decide between the ebony pinstripe heads and the black suede heads. i am definitely getting the black x for my snare when it becomes available online but i got the money for new heads and i dont which to get, i appreciate all the help

ok so ive been looking at these heads and i just cant decide between the ebony pinstripe heads and the black suede heads. i am definitely getting the black x for my snare when it becomes available online but i got the money for new heads and i dont which to get, i appreciate all the help

What do you prefer? The pins will be more muffled and the Suedes more open sounding

idk what do u think would be better more like hard rock metal but could all so be played in like punk and jazz

idk what do u think would be better more like hard rock metal but could all so be played in like punk and jazz

The Black Pinstripes would work well for metal or rock. I have used them many times. I don't think would be suited for jazz. They have a low and short sound to them. They are also a little heavier than regular Pinstripes. Black Pinstripes are made with a 10 & 5 mil film. Clear Pinstripes are made from two 7 mil films. I don't think the clear Pins would be much good for jazz playing either but maybe someone else knows better. I know nothing about jazz playing other than the most common head seems to be a single ply coated.

Most likely, neither. Thats just too much of a stretch generally speaking. The suedes would probably be closer though

well i dont really play jazz but i just want that option i guess but are the pinstripes like dead sounding thats why im skeptical on buying them

Tank322,
From reading your posts...you're really just looking for a versatile head that provides plenty of dynamic range (a head that responds with consistency when played softly or loudly). Generally speaking, 2-ply heads (heads made with 2 pieces of film) are going to be a little less sensitive than single ply...but they're also going to be more focused (controlled) sounding and more durable than 1-ply heads (heads made with a single piece of film).

Look, I work at Evans Drumheads...so I'm biased...but you might be better off choosing a more traditional 2-ply like the G2. It'll hold up as well as any other 2-ply, but it's sensitive enough to respond when played more softly or when tuned higher (more in a jazz range). It's still going to be fairly resonant. If you need to control the sustain and eliminate the troublesome higher frequencies...but you don't want to sacrifice the dynamic range...then the EC2 might be a good option.

I hope this helps a little.

Mike
Evans Senior Product Manager

Tank322,
From reading your posts...you're really just looking for a versatile head that provides plenty of dynamic range (a head that responds with consistency when played softly or loudly). Generally speaking, 2-ply heads (heads made with 2 pieces of film) are going to be a little less sensitive than single ply...but they're also going to be more focused (controlled) sounding and more durable than 1-ply heads (heads made with a single piece of film).

Look, I work at Evans Drumheads...so I'm biased...but you might be better off choosing a more traditional 2-ply like the G2. It'll hold up as well as any other 2-ply, but it's sensitive enough to respond when played more softly or when tuned higher (more in a jazz range). It's still going to be fairly resonant. If you need to control the sustain and eliminate the troublesome higher frequencies...but you don't want to sacrifice the dynamic range...then the EC2 might be a good option.

I hope this helps a little.

Mike
Evans Senior Product Manager
well thanks i was looking into these heads also, so any other opinions

i personally have a gretsch catalina club jazz that has evans g1s on them and i cant stand the sound. they sound better for strict jazz high tuning and they're very resonant. in your case i might go with fiberskyn ps3s on both sides of toms and depending on your bd same thing on that or black suede pstrokes. i've used the pinstripes abd allthough their not bad i don't think they're suited for jazz or even light rock. personally, i'm getting something along the lines of vintage emperors on batter with black suede emps as reso and black suede powerstrokes on both sides of bd. i'm partial about different heads for the snare but these head selections really make the drums look cool with the white and black.

Back