Bass Drums, Heads and Random Thoughts.

T

TheArchitect

I bought a set of PS3's for the 24x18 PDP CXR Maple kick. I cut a 5" port, used the small end of an EQ pad on the batter head for muffling and this drum was just THUNDEROUS from the get go. I loved it and promptly bought the same head/muffler combo for the 22x18 M Birch Kick. The results were not so great. Very flat/ 1 dimensional. It wasn't as obvious until I had another drum to compare with sitting right next to it. I'm thinking that maybe even the small end of the EQ pad is too much muffling for the 22" drum. I may try replacing the EQ pad with felt strips to reduce the muffling. I wouldn't rule out going with an ambassador reso and maybe even batter but I'm not sure the heads are the problems

Off to the wood shed to experiment I guess

Both my Mapex Pro-M 22" and my Pacific CX 22" KILL with PS3's front & back, esp. the Mapex. [The difference might just be tuning; if I ever get them side-by-side, I'll compare.] I'd guess that it's not the heads' fault, but either the drum itself [could be quality/condition or just that you like the lower-end of the 24" better] or the tuning.

Back