THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Anyone has ever heard an Highwood drums snare drum ?

DSCF0032.jpg

This is my favorite snare drums (I own both):
6,5x14 Tama Starclassic Maple,
5,5x14 Tama Signature Simon Phillips "Gladiator"

Attachments

• 29478.jpg
    29478.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,363
  • SMS1465SSB.gif
    SMS1465SSB.gif
    26 KB · Views: 2,327
I'm going to get a new snare in the future and will go and test some out. Before I do though, can anyone describe what a copper snare sounds like? I've been thinking about the Pearl FC-1435/C. I love the sound of the brass version and it's close to the sound I'm looking for but would prefer one with a slightly darker, rounded sound.

Just recently purchased a Yamaha Anton Fig Signature Snare, 14 X 6 maple with maple hoops.

Great sounding snare, plenty of crack and great rim sound as well.

Solid black gloss and the natural maple hoops make it a great looking drum as well.

I bought a worldmax black hawg 6.5 x 14, to try out, and I love the thing. The strainer leaves alot to be desired. I even left the stock heads on it! I'm gonna keep this one.
blackhawg.jpg

Last edited:
MY FAV SNARE I KNOW IS MAINLY AN EFFECT SNARE, BUT THE 7X12 MAPEX BLACK PANTHER DELIVERS A NICE CRACK AND HAS A FAT SOUND WICH I LIKE FOR PLAYING HARD ROCK.

how can i get a very....very high pitched sound out of my snare? i have my resonant head tuned up all the way and my batter almost all the way but it sounds like its pitched normal....

I also love the high-pitched sound of a snare drum, I have both top and bottom tuned tight, but never crank it, and i also have the snare pulled across tightly, I love the funky sound I get from it. I got the Pearl Chad Smith Signature and it sounds amazing and is VERY affordable, and also the batter head is where you're going to tell the difference in terms of the high-pitched "snap" sound you get out of it.

JammingJeff said:
I also love the high-pitched sound of a snare drum, I have both top and bottom tuned tight, but never crank it, and i also have the snare pulled across tightly, I love the funky sound I get from it. I got the Pearl Chad Smith Signature and it sounds amazing and is VERY affordable, and also the batter head is where you're going to tell the difference in terms of the high-pitched "snap" sound you get out of it.

Try cranking the bottom head and tightening the snare wires just tight enough so that there's no residual buzz. See what you think about that.

You know what looks really cool is the DW Bamboo snare. Heck of a lot a money, but looks really awesome.

Big Evil said:
Im wanting to buy a new snare but im not really sure what to go for. Any sugestions?
personly im into big deep snares but thats because i like the tone and sensitivity if u hear john bohnam or if u have ever seen him then u will reilise in moby dick he gets a hihat sound from it and dnt forget uning the two heads makes a difference as well as the types of head. the same also gos for wires i have a 14by6 premier diminion mimor made i think 10 years ago and it has 12 wires and ive tuned it way up hight like bohnam did that gives amazingly incredible sensitvity.

PLZ HELP!!

i have a steel snare and it sounds quiet bad.. there are REMO Ambassador reso head and REMO Emperor head.. whyt should i do?? i want to have a nice sounding snare! plz help

jali said:
PLZ HELP!!

i have a steel snare and it sounds quiet bad.. there are REMO Ambassador reso head and REMO Emperor head.. whyt should i do?? i want to have a nice sounding snare! plz help

I have a Pearl 13x3 steel snare that for years I used as a main snare, with such a beautifully high pitched crack that it made your ears bleed. I found the trick with metal shells is the right batter head, personal experience has led me to twin ply (coated or uncoated) hydraulic/pinstripe whatever you want to call them, as they tend to resonate less. I've also found that tuning metal shells quite high also helps, for me anyway, again it's all about the sound you're after. a tiny little 13x3 isn't to everybody's taste, but you can also squeeze the balls out of a deeper snare for a nice tight punchy sound.

I have recently aquired a pearl 14x3.5 maple free floater with die cast hoops, which was the best move I have ever made as it sits in perfectly with my BLX kit and my little steel sits to the side as an effects/auxilliary snare

Allright guys, I was looking at this Yamaha Brass snare today, and it was 14x6.5. Has anyone play a 13" one? Im trying to figure out which one has more of a pop on it.

Also, does anyone know where to order a Keller shell with an exotic wood outer ply other than Conaway? Im doing some snare work, and this summer im thinkin about assembling a snare.

Edit: How woould wood hoops affect the sound of a brass snare?

Back