2015 Guru Snare Competition Entry Details - ENDS SOON!

5 days is absolutely enough Mark, & if you look at the number of submissions to date, your chances of winning a prize are incredibly high compared to any other competition. Remember, judging is on overall musical approach, not chops. Final place judging is by Yolanda alone, & the prize allocations will be decided by a blind draw.

I meant 5 days with 2 auditions coming up and various other things ... but you're right.. If I pull my finger out I might be able to manage it! It will have to be on an electric kit too unfortunately...

Nice! More entries coming in category 4 (professional) now, but still only one entry in category 1. So, to anyone under 14, or with less than 3 years playing experience, get a submission in! It really is wide open & for the taking.

Yeah, this one is very creative and musical to me. Surprisingly different
and boldly minimalistic. And yet it works! Very well and tightly played, and
the less simplistic moments have an enormous effect. I'm impressed!
Right on the money with a less is more approach!

Edit: What's Mátés user name on DW anyway?

Last edited:
Really impressed by all of the entries, fantastic to see each persons interpretation of the song coming across well.

Well done to all involved!

Yeah, this one is very creative and musical to me. Surprisingly different
and boldly minimalistic. And yet it works! Very well and tightly played, and
the less simplistic moments have an enormous effect. I'm impressed!
Right on the money with a less is more approach!

Edit: What's Mátés user name on DW anyway?
Apart from a couple of transitions that fell awkward to me, I love everything about this submission :). I'm guessing he isn't a member here.
BTW guys, sorry for the short replies, I'm travelling all week.

I kid you not, that is EVERYTHING I had heard in my head and wanted to play, but couldn't.
And therefore your goal for the next 25 years is -------- ;)

Really impressed by all of the entries, fantastic to see each persons interpretation of the song coming across well.

Well done to all involved!
Indeed! I could have set an easy one answer type competition, & candidly, that would earn Guru Drums way more exposure through mass participation, but I'm proud of our competition history to date, as well as the participants. This year's competition achieved another first too - a drumming contest not judged by a drummer / drummers.

Better almost late than never. Here is my attempt, gaffs and all...please be kind.

http://youtu.be/WZ6vA7ebHzI

Category 2

I stripped my kit down to a 3 piece on purpose so as to limit "distractions" and focus on maintaining a measured groove.

Many of the other entries are very humbling. I had a great time working on this. Thanks Andy.

Wes

Better almost late than never. Here is my attempt, gaffs and all...please be kind.

http://youtu.be/WZ6vA7ebHzI

Category 2

I stripped my kit down to a 3 piece on purpose so as to limit "distractions" and focus on maintaining a measured groove.

Many of the other entries are very humbling. I had a great time working on this. Thanks Andy.

Wes
Wes, thank you so much for stepping up to the plate on this :). The effort you've put in is obvious, & I hope you got as much pleasure out of this as I did viewing the result. Loving the chorus groove especially!

Guys - you've got literally hours to get your submission in, then it's over to Yolanda for judging.

Andy! I manage to record and film myself, although the take could be better
(one major shipwreck at least), it's better than nothing :). Now I have to get the
Zoom file and the backing track together... So how many hours do I have?

Just realized that I haven't got iMovie on my laptop anymore :(. Have to find
another way...

Andy! I manage to record and film myself, although the take could be better
(one major shipwreck at least), it's better than nothing :). Now I have to get the
Zoom file and the backing track together... So how many hours do I have?

Just realized that I haven't got iMovie on my laptop anymore :(. Have to find
another way...

Do you have Windows Movie Maker? That's how I put mine together. I have a Zoom recorder also so it should be compatible.

Wes, thank you so much for stepping up to the plate on this :). The effort you've put in is obvious, & I hope you got as much pleasure out of this as I did viewing the result. Loving the chorus groove especially!

Guys - you've got literally hours to get your submission in, then it's over to Yolanda for judging.

Thanks Andy. It was a blast.

I think I officially have to give up :(. Have to go to work in 10min and no idea
what's the problem with youtube... grrr! There goes my last minute partipication, sniff...

http://youtu.be/A5jHagB92_I

second try: http://youtu.be/-J8kKSE5uJ8

Well except if someone wants to add the backing track to my video ;)! I can't because
my next opportunity will be at around 8 pm Swiss time, which is too late when I'm not
completely wrong. And I could be completely wrong, because I've had a cold and
I'm on medication treating nasal sinusitis, which is also why my performance in the
video suffered a bit. It was hard to concentrate, and I barely practiced in the last few
weeks.

Sounds good to me. I have the song engrained in my brain so I can see/hear you drumming and hear the song. Not bad for no practicing and being sick.

Back