Make kick pad more sensitive?

amc86

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the drumming world, I just bought an Alesis DM-6. Since I wanted to play metal songs, I bought a double kick aswell. The problem is that the pad on the drum kit isn't really sensitive, ie it requires a really powerful stroke to actually register the hit. I was wondering if there was a way to make it more sensitive, therefore requiring less stroke power?

I'm also struggling to get double bass working since the pad only registers in a certain zone and it's kinda small for the two pedal heads to fit.. Any ideas on this aswell?

Thanks alot! :)

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the drumming world, I just bought an Alesis DM-6. Since I wanted to play metal songs, I bought a double kick aswell. The problem is that the pad on the drum kit isn't really sensitive, ie it requires a really powerful stroke to actually register the hit. I was wondering if there was a way to make it more sensitive, therefore requiring less stroke power?

I'm also struggling to get double bass working since the pad only registers in a certain zone and it's kinda small for the two pedal heads to fit.. Any ideas on this aswell?

Thanks alot! :)

It sounds like you need to upgrade your bass drum kick pad. Try taking a look at the upper-end Roland ones. That might be your only solution since the one you have now is too small. Or play a single kick pedal, eh?

Thanks for the answer.

Well I could stick to use single pad only, that'd be the money saving solution. But the problem is that the songs I want to cover and how I want to learn drums really requires double bass / double pedal. So in this particular case I really have to check the higher end kick pads...

On the other hand, sometimes in certain position the pad registers the double pedal stroke. It's kinda weird. But in some positions it doesn't register a single hit even with a single pedal.

Well, the Alesis system is a little substandard when compared to the Roland stuff. Not to say Roland didn't have it's fair share of problems in the beginning (I used to play alot with the original Octapad and then the Octapad II - shows my age). BUt I've owned the Roland TD-10 with a really nice kick pad, and compared to real drums, that left me a little cold too. Maybe you could find a real bass drum and install a nice trigger on it to plug into the Alesis brain? That would solve the double pedal issue better, I think.

Well if I get a real bass drum it kinda ruins the whole purpose of having electronic drums. As of present, I'm still living in a house so I can still make some noise but I'll be moving to a flat in a few months and I think it just wouldn't be compatible.

So shall I try getting a Roland kick drum pad?

Well, definitely try before you buy. Not sure how the Roland kick would react with the Alesis module. But, for the same price of the Roland kick, you could get a Pearl Rhythm traveler kit and use the bass drum with the mesh head installed for the trigger. That would keep it nice and silent.

There should be a sensitivity setting with-in the alesis module.

I'm not familiar with that module in particular, but ever module has a way to adjust sensitivity. You'll need to read the manual to figure out how to do it though.

The DM6 kit is kind of "as is" when it comes to trying to add on.It has a mini kick pad thats only good for one pedal beater.They are a great deal for what they are.A basic kit,but you wont be playing double bass on that particular kick...too small.
I have the studio Alesis,and the kick works amazingly with my Pearl Eliminator double pedal.Never ever misses,and is super sensitive.Its 150 brand new,or probably well under 100 on ebay.You dont have to spend 350 to 500 bucks on a Roland kick to get what that Alesis pad does for under a bill.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-RealHead-Kick-Pad-712764-i1522250.gc

The problem with double kicks and trigger pads is that the beaters are hitting offset to the centre of the pad. If you were using a single kick, it would be fine, but the velocity is lighter because you're not hitting the pad dead centre. At least with my TD9 (and old style kd8, which does take double pedals but not great), I had to adjust the sensitivity to a little less than double the stock setting. The Alesis should have a sensitivity setting also.

Tl;dr With double kicks, they're not hitting the pad dead on the centre, so you will need to up the sensitivity. You will most likely have this issue with any kick pad.

I can't find the sensitivity setting, that's kinda weird. I can't buy on ebay since I don't have a paypal account.

Even with a single kick I find that I have to hit it hard enough for it to register... Kinda weird imo.

man thats a drag you cant get in on ebay.Some people are pretty cool about alternate forms of payment.Its just that paypal is fool proof.You can always message the seller and ask if he would make an exception.

Otherwise how old is your DM6?I am wondering if you are still within the window to return it for a step up.If you are then I would highly recommend it before you try and upgrade the dm6.Youre already finding out that the module lacks features like sensitivity.

I will look around for you a little for that kick.You really dont want to have a super nice roland v-drum kick hooked up to a module that couldnt keep up with the entry stock kick.If you did this then id recommend getting at least the trigger i/o module and run some drum software through it.Yet since your kick is having sensitivity issues,and the kit is new,I wouldnt see a problem with where you bought it taking it back,especially if your going to trade up.

I'll be back

yea that ebay deal stands alone,otherwise amercian musical supply or zzounds has em new for 97 bucks.Just worried you might have a bad module either way.

Good luck man,and dont be afraid to message me with any questions about the alesis.I love mine.It defeats all the bad rap I have ever heard about them.So they have good stuff,you just may have less options with the dm6.

I guess I could return the whole drum kit but the pads already have some wear marks. Plus it'd be a pain in the butt to get all the things inside the box. I guess I'll have to find some other kick pad, because the problem isn't in the module itself but the kick pad. It's just too small to fit two drum heads...

yea it would be a pain to repack and ship,but if its already needing upgrades and you just bought it ,then it may be the best choice.Reason being is that you will want to add a couple more times,and that module wont be having it.The store you bought it from will simply shine it up and restock it as a return at a 40 dollar discount.So dont sweat their side of it.Think about what you want overall,and where this kit will go.

If youre dead set on sticking it out,you may be able to add another one of the same kick you already have through a y connector to the module.So your single slot bass input on the module runs two kicks.Yet im not positive the dm6 has that capability.

Just dont think you need to upgrade to all top end stuff to get it where you want.100 bucks more gets you the studio kit,with all dual zone pads and the trigger i/o.Ran through some ezdrummer software,theres nothing in the industry that can touch that deal.With all the Holiday specials going on as well,you can hack 15 percent off that price.

I appreciate your answer. I'm actually going to keep this kit, since I can change it for a better one if there's the need. As for now I'm just going to find a better kick pad because this one is just annoying me. And btw, I'm just a novice in drumming, so I don't think a big kit will actually suit my needs.

Back