Finally, a Birds' Eye view...

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Here's my kit, was brave enough to stand on my drum stool to do this!!

From left to right,

Zildjian A Custom Rezo Hats 14"
Sabian HHXPlosion Crash 16"
Meinl Byzance Thin Crash 15"
Sabian XS20 10" Splash
Meinl Byzance 16" Thin Crash
Zildjian K Session Crash 16"
Sabian AA Metal-X Ride 21"

Lemme know what ya think!!

Attachments

• 304757_10150329070713759_500263758_8293460_1018518902_n.jpg
    304757_10150329070713759_500263758_8293460_1018518902_n.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 862
Looks like you could use some help with your tom angles. It does not look condusive to fluid motion and relaxed movement between drums. Every drum seems to face your body on a different plane. If you got rid of the bass drum tom mount and got a separate stand, it would give you some ease in finding a more comfortable set up.
You have nice cymbals, but your kit needs help. I can even see the awkwardness in the stick marks on the heads, they are not on center or consistantly grouped.

Dont be offended, just trying to give some constructive criticism.

Looks like you could use some help with your tom angles. It does not look condusive to fluid motion and relaxed movement between drums. Every drum seems to face your body on a different plane. If you got rid of the bass drum tom mount and got a separate stand, it would give you some ease in finding a more comfortable set up.
You have nice cymbals, but your kit needs help. I can even see the awkwardness in the stick marks on the heads, they are not on center or consistantly grouped.

Dont be offended, just trying to give some constructive criticism.

What would you suggest other than the bass drum tom mounts? My kit is an oldie and is almost completely relying on the stock mounts.

On most kits the tom mount is towards the front end of the kick (i.e opposite what you have) It looks like you have it the wrong way around, because if you moved the rack toms closer together they would be hanging too far towards you. Where are your spurs pointing?

May sound like a silly question, but I've seen kick drums the wrong way round before!

On most kits the tom mount is towards the front end of the kick (i.e opposite what you have) It looks like you have it the wrong way around, because if you moved the rack toms closer together they would be hanging too far towards you. Where are your spurs pointing?

May sound like a silly question, but I've seen kick drums the wrong way round before!

I will have to look when I get home. The guy who owned it before me was a little confused I think, because I saw coated heads on both sides, both had stick marks. I just figured he had the kick config right because the EMAD was on one side, and a reso Ambassador was on the other side. I wouldn't think you'd use an EMAD for a reso!! lol

It may help to mention that the kick is a shallow kick...it's a 24" around by I think 16 deep. I will have to look when I get home.

Should the Yamaha badge face me so I can read it, or should it face outward so the audience can read it? I'm talking about the badge that is on the shell, with the series and serial number on them. I appreciate the help!

why are your byzance logos offset to the side?? is that what they did with old series? (i have no idea, my byzance's have the stamp in the middle, never seen them like that before)

That is correct. My Byzances are the older series, and I prefer them that way! I got my first thin crash, a 15" when I first started drumming. I honestly have not found a better sounding crash since then, and I have tried tons of them from different manufactuerers! It's like the holy grail or something! Just a beautiful, shimmering, open dark wash that sounds good no matter where or what I'm playing. It just adapts!

I was so impressed that I bought some newer Byzance medium brilliant crashes (with the logo in the middle) and although they sounded great as far as crashes go, they were not phenomenal (excuse the terminology, but I am astounded by my 15") and so I sold them to a friend. I looked and looked for a Byzance thin crash to match the 15" I already had, and I found the 16" with the old logo about 2 weeks ago, and when it came in the mail I was so inspired that I snapped a photo! They are great! So yes I am very partial to the older series Byzance...they are better to my ears, but other people may say otherwise... so it is a subjective opinion, but to answer your question yes they are the older series, probably from the late 90s/early 00s!

I would try to get the two rack toms closer together and parallel, then you can move your floor tom forward closer to the bass and that will get the three toms more compact and easier to move around the kit.

I will have to look when I get home. The guy who owned it before me was a little confused I think, because I saw coated heads on both sides, both had stick marks. I just figured he had the kick config right because the EMAD was on one side, and a reso Ambassador was on the other side. I wouldn't think you'd use an EMAD for a reso!! lol

It may help to mention that the kick is a shallow kick...it's a 24" around by I think 16 deep. I will have to look when I get home.

Should the Yamaha badge face me so I can read it, or should it face outward so the audience can read it? I'm talking about the badge that is on the shell, with the series and serial number on them. I appreciate the help!

don't know about the badge but here are some photos that might help -

tour%20drum%20set.jpg

_c123686_image_0.jpg

I think you're right, I may need to turn my bass drum around and swap the heads. I can't believe it was this way and I never noticed!

Maybe a more fluid motion would make my drumming greatness into drumming excellence and none of you would be able to match me (MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA j/k).

Thanks for the tip, I'm moving soon so when I get to the new place I'll just strip everything down, put new heads on, and rock the freak out y'all!

Oh and btw I just ordered some Meinl Dark Byzance hats...the Zils will be on the auction block soon, they just don't mix well with the other cymbals anymore since I got rid of my AAX and AA crashes, maybe I'll snap a photograph once I get the new heads and those dirty jones buried-for-years dark hats. Then y'all will be really drooling! :-D

As long as we're talking about awkwardness, the ride doesn't look very accessible either... I have a crash not even that far back and I find it awkward to hit. I'm not sure how you do it with a ride

As long as we're talking about awkwardness, the ride doesn't look very accessible either... I have a crash not even that far back and I find it awkward to hit. I'm not sure how you do it with a ride

I am an awkward fellow, what can I say? I can reach the bow and the bell fine. If you look at the picture, imagine where I am sitting, it is basically right where the camera is pointing from. That is my stool. I sit as far back as the bottom of the picture. I can reach the crashes with the shoulder of my sticks, and I only have to tilt ever so slightly to get going on the ride. It's actually not that awkward if you look at it from the bottom of the picture. Well, maybe it is, I don't know what you think. I have to turn my body a little bit but not enough to disrupt what I'm doing on my left side.

It's no worse than reaching the far right tom that is not in the picture.

Hell maybe I'm doing it all wrong, I've never had lessons before... I just learn everything by ear, I didn't even really know what each part of the drums or cymbals did, I just grabbed some sticks and started figuring it out one day. Really...what is a paradiddle? It sounds funny. I know what a triplet is. Tri-pel-et - 1-2-3, get it? I can play 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, 6/4, 5/4, 7/4, 9/4, 12/4, 26/4... I dunno...

I don't have time for lessons but I love to practice! Any other tips?

Back