I can't decide on a drumset!

Draven

Before you ask me to use the search function or do my research, don't bother. I've been doing research and watching all the youtube videos on these drumsets for the past two weeks! I have about $2k to spend on an entire new drum kit, cymbals, hardware so I want to make an investment I will never regret!
I had an old Pearl export series that I played since I was 10. I sold everything last year to move out for college but I've moved back in with my parents so I'd like to buy another drum set. I would prefer a new kit. So I've narrowed my search down to the Yamaha Stage Customs, PDP concepts, and Tama Silverstars.
All the threads I've read on multiple different forums suggest the Stage Customs over all these other mid level kits. I was totally set on the Stage Customs. However, I'm not a fan of the finishes and I have yet to find a youtube video where I like the sound of this kit. So I'm back to square one. I'll be playing progressive and melodic death metal alone in my room. I'm not in a band (yet). I just want a quality 5-piece kit I can jam/practice on a couple hours a day with some earbuds and my ipod.

tl;dr Stage Customs were my #1 choice, but I don't like the finishes and haven't heard an amazing sound out of them (regardless of what people have told me). I love the DW-like features on the Concept series, along with their faded finishes. My favorite finish out of all these is the blue burst on the Silverstars. I've also heard Tama's hardware is great. I've also considered buying another Pearl. I loved my export so much. Never had any problems with the hardware. I understand the mounting system is weak and I'll upgrade it to optimounts asap.

As for cymbals. I'll be buying used Sabian AAX 14 hihats, 16 and 18 crashes, 20 ride. Also an 18 and 12 wuhan china and 10 splash. I already have Pearl Eliminator double bass pedals. I'll be replacing all the tom heads with g2/g1 heads. Evans power center reverse dot and hazy 300 on the snare. Aquarian superkick 2 on the bass drum.

Last edited:
So what is keeping you from getting the silverstars?

You have to make a list of whats most important to you in a kit and prioritize it then go from there.

1) Wood type
2) Mounting system
3) Sizes
4) Finish/color
5) Price
6) Lug looks
etc etc.. I think if you do all this rather than just rely on people's reviews it will probably be much easier.

Personally I think you should go used, you can find some great kickass kits, most with hardware and cymbals with a $2000 budget and probably still have a few hundred left over.

Well i know the Silverstars are a great sounding kit. don't know much about the Stage Customs. I saw the PDP Concept Maples in the store. Very nice and well built set. Haven't heard them yet. Personally I'm leaning toward the Mapex MyDentity or Ludwig Epic series. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Get the nice finish you like. Whatever floats your boat man. I'm not much help, huh? Good luck man.

Buy a used kit from somebody who took care of their kit. PLENTY of them on craigslist, and they're selling for at least half of the new price. That will greatly expand your options beyond these options, which, in my opinion, none of which I would consider an "investment I will never regret"...

Personally I'm leaning toward the Mapex MyDentity or Ludwig Epic series. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut. Get the nice finish you like. Whatever floats your boat man. I'm not much help, huh? Good luck man.

Yeah those Mapex Mydentity blacked out Raven kits are sweet looking. Seems like they would be perfect for the OP's style of music as well.

2K is a very nice budget for a used higher end kit than stage customs. If your going 5 piece you can get a lot for that kind of money.

MyDentity kits sure look nice, but I rather spend that kind of money on a used high end kit. I'm going to look around locally for used kits. If I can't find anything, I'll just buy a Silverstar kit and spend the extra money on new heads. Thanks for the advice everyone!

BTW. Any thoughts on buying used kits from Guitar Center online?

Yeah those Mapex Mydentity blacked out Raven kits are sweet looking. Seems like they would be perfect for the OP's style of music as well.

Ya the raven is awesome looking but so is the all black Silvverstar with Onyx heads. I like the new Obsidian kit that Mapex makes in this line. They have the nice 2.3mm powerhoops which I like and you can get maple for the same price as birch. You choose the exact size and cofiguration that you want. I can get a 24 inch bass drum that I like, etc.

BTW. Any thoughts on buying used kits from Guitar Center online?

Do it! Make sure you call first and have a rep tell you about it, and maybe even hit it a few times for you. Yeah it won't sound great over the phone, but usually they will just naturally make comments about it when they hit it. They may even send you extra pictures. You won't necessarily know what you are getting, but they usually won't lie to you, I bought something off their online used website and it was just like they said it would be. You can get some deals off of their better than anything you will find on craigslist. I think I got my set for like $320 and it was in perfect shape and less than anything I would have found with that quality on craigslist.

Hearing a kit on YouTube is not really the best way to hear what a kit sounds like ..... but .... if that's all you have to go on, it is what it is.​
I agree with everyone, that used is the way to go. For drums and cymbals. And hardware too. Way more bang for your buck. You'd be playing a used high end kit, rather than a new mid range kit. Or, you can get a mid range kit for a lot less. But, some people have a big aversion to used equipment. And if that's you, never mind.​
Bottom line, you have to decide, not us. You don't like the Yamaha kit, that's fine. 12 people telling you to buy the Yamaha kit shouldn't make you do something you don't wanna do. All these kits sell huge, so it's a matter of personal choice, not "one's better than the others". It ain't better if you don't like it.​
And GC does have some killer "used deals". A buddy of mine scored a Pearl Masters (birch) kit, 22, 12, 13, 16 ..... for $600.​

Any thoughts on buying used kits from Guitar Center online?

Sometimes the prices are a good deal. Sometimes the prices are so bad that you'd pay more for the used kit than a new one. I've seen that twice now.

Thought in general: Try out a kit IN PERSON before you buy. Give it a looking over with your own eyes and listen with your own ears. Pics/videos online and soundfiles don't convey accurately what a kit looks/sounds like...

Buy a used kit from somebody who took care of their kit. PLENTY of them on craigslist, and they're selling for at least half of the new price. That will greatly expand your options beyond these options, which, in my opinion, none of which I would consider an "investment I will never regret"...

+1+1. Totally the way to go, and you can go and try them all. Take your time. I see so many nice Tamas, Pearls and Yammies for sale used its like a weekly thing.
The money saved on shells can then go to the really expensive part of a kit - its cymbals.

If you find a used kit at GC do some research on ebay and see what they are going for on there or have sold for in the closed auctions.

I totally agree with getting a used kit for the money you have to spend you can have a high end used kit and cymbals.

... I would prefer a new kit. So I've narrowed my search down to the Yamaha Stage Customs, PDP concepts, and Tama Silverstars...

MyDentity kits sure look nice, but I rather spend that kind of money on a used high end kit...

.... There's about 3 Guitar Centers and several other privately owned music shops I can visit locally...

Reading through this thread, it sounds like you're in the beginning stages of deciding what you want.
Visit all the local stores, look at, and if possible, try out, as many kits as you can.
Research the kits you're interested in on the manufacturer's sites.
That should help you sort it out more. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the 3 sets you're considering in the first post.
Buying used will get you more drum for the money, but will entail more work, and more risk.
Good luck with your search.

Back