What is the best drumming-related gift you've ever received (or wish you had)?

Mayners67

A friend of mine whose greatest passion is playing the drums is turning 40 in a few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to drumming.but I could do with some help with ideas!

Please let me know what the best drumming/music-related present is that you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present, related to drumming. Obviously it has to be something that all drums players would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)

Many thanks
A

My buddy bought me an entire kit which got me started. Since your friend has a kit and is started I would recommend a Roc-n-soc throne. No on ewants to buy one for themselves and it is the best thing that has happended to my drumming.

My best drumming-related gift by far is having joined this forum, it's a gold mine of advices, topics, musics, drummers, drumming and much much more...

If your friend hasn't join this forum, it could be the very thing to suggest to him.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

@ MAD
Do you want to prepare a welcome thread for him (her)?
You have vast experience in creating stunning surprise threads ;-)

GIft certificates are very thoughtful. They can shop and pick out their own desires.

Maybe a printed gift certificate from the likes of Sam Ash, Guitar Center, or Musician's Friend. I personally prefer choosing my own drum gear, since that is just as personal as clothes or underwear :)

Also what Mad About Drums said about joining this forum. Greatest gift ever that gives everyday!

I got a pair of isolation head phones last year. I use them to practice.

My buddy bought me an entire kit which got me started. Since your friend has a kit and is started I would recommend a Roc-n-soc throne. No on ewants to buy one for themselves and it is the best thing that has happended to my drumming.

Agree 100%. I was sitting on the crappiest tiny stool until my gracious better half bought me a comfy Roc N Soc. Best gift ever for $150.

My father gave me as a gift a big, wonderful musical cymbal. An Paiste Giant Beat 24" Ride!

Attachments

• Me & Giant Beat Ride.jpg
    Me & Giant Beat Ride.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 666
When i first started playing drums, my Dad was not too keen on it. He threatened several times to throw them out and complained that it didn't take any talent to play the drums. He was always negative. So asking for any thing drum related for birthdays or Christmas was always out of the question. But my Mom always kept me with sticks and snuck in a brand new drum throne for me so i wouldn't have to use a folding chair anymore. I was 12, that was the best drum related gift i ever received.

No one wants to buy one for themselves and it is the best thing that has happended to my drumming.

On the subject of stuff that every drummer wants but can rarely get for himself: a full set of heads would be a great gift. Even for a standard 5 piece kit a full set of good quality heads (that's 2 heads per drum for snare drum, bass drum, and 3 toms) will cost the best part of 200GBP (or your local equivalent). Obviously the total price will vary according to how many drums he has and how big they are - but a full set of heads from Remo, Evans, or Aquarian (the 3 main manufacturers) would be a very welcome present. The big companies tend to do discount packs if you're buying a full set so shop around.

N.B. If you do choose this option - do be sure to find out the correct sizes but also exactly the make and model of head he does use. [Most] drummers are very particular about this kind of thing because the heads affect the overall sound of the drums.

A brick of his favorite sticks wouldn't be a bad thing... but as has been mentioned before, make sure you get the exact model and brand, don't guess.

A Roc-N-Soc throne would also be nice, if spendy.

Can't ever go wrong with a gift certificate.

In answer to the title, my ex-wife (when we were just a year married) bought me the best-sounding China cymbal I'd ever heard. 20 years (and a second wife) later, I'm still playing it. It's that nice.

My dad took my brother and I to the Modern Drummer drum festival back in 1998. We made a weekend trip out of the deal. It was pretty sweet. It was the first time any of use heard of Jojo Mayer. We even made it onto the video (you can see the back of our heads at one point).

Also my brother went to a Mike Portnoy clinic at one point and got me an autographed drum head which was pretty sweet!

Around 1976 my Dad giving me his 1930's Ludwigs and Zildjians because I wanted to learn how to play.

Around 2000 my wife giving me for Christmas a newly released Vinnie Colaiuta Sig. Millennium Maple Gretsch Snare.

I was once given a compliment that I look sexy when I drum.

A greater gift is hard to find....

Back