Weird symptoms before a show

My mother refers to this as the "nervous sh*ts."

I no longer have this reaction and haven't for many years, but I still don't eat dinner before a gig for this very reason.

agreed on anxiety trigger / stage fright. check this article on stagefright from the great Hal Galper: http://www.halgalper.com/articles/stagefright-and-relaxation/

Hal also has a bunch of stuff about getting "In Flow" while playing that will blow you away. basically the state where you are not thinking, making perfect musical decisions & in the zone.

This is some of the best stuff I ever read on the subject. Hal is the man. Thank you for that great link double_G

I used to know a chick who was an agoraphobic, she needed to pee whenever she was away from home. The reason I mention it is because it reminds me of what you're saying - bodily functions are like your excuse to avoid being in high pressure situations.

Was there an incident leading up to this? Do you actually need to crap onstage? Psychosomatic is a word that comes to mind.

Wow been busy lately. I dont need to go when I'm onstage. The symptoms vanish as soon as I start playing. The only thing I can think of that can be related was having an emergency appendectomy and the subsequent infection.

I used to know a chick who was an agoraphobic, she needed to pee whenever she was away from home. The reason I mention it is because it reminds me of what you're saying - bodily functions are like your excuse to avoid being in high pressure situations.

Was there an incident leading up to this? Do you actually need to crap onstage? Psychosomatic is a word that comes to mind.

Different people handle their pre-performance anxiety differently. Some take Alka-Seltzer, Tums, Pepto-Bismol. Some eat, some don't, some drink, some.... Find what works for you and since it doesn't bother you on stage, you are not worse for the wear. I take a hot shower a couple of hours before and then eat nothing or have a bit of tea and toast and that keeps the tummy calm and almost empty.

Back