42 snare wires?

x1503

So I'm getting my new ludwig chrome over brass snare tomorrow finally and I have been accustomed to use 42 strand wires because it gives more of the "snare" sound. I've used Gibraltar's and at times Tamas version but I recently ran into the pearl version...the only difference I've seen from photos are that there different material and have 3 versions. Has anyone used these and recommend the extra money. I've listed the 3 different versions below. Thanks

By the way I will have die cast brass hoops and I usually tune my drum kinda high

D Type Snare wires have graduated tension with the wires slightly longer in the outside for a higher sensitivity.

I Type Snare wires are Pearl's standard style wires with even tension across all strands.

C Type Snare wires have graduated tension with the wires slightly longer in the middle for a deeper sound.

I use Pearl's 20-strand version of the Ultra Sound snare wires and they're my favorite after-market snare wire. They sound great, they're long-lasting, and they're priced really well for "fancy" snare wires. I use the D-type, slightly tighter in the middle.

That's what I use on my Ludwig chrome over brass Supra and I think they sound great. I've not tried the 42-strand version though since they're a lot harder to find in stock anywhere and 42 strands is just a little too snare-y for my taste.

All 3 different sets probably work well. I've been happy with just generic 42's in the past (I like the non-perfect, raspy dirt :) ), BUT, if I were to get Pearls wires, I'd get the even tension set (I).
That way, I could adjust how the wires react by tension on the bottom head (evenly, or more/less tension on the 2 rods on either side) rather than being "stuck" with what the wires do.
It's fine to have a "set" type of wires if you know what you want, or don't mind spending a few bucks to experiment (I've been in the "spend a few bucks" category a few times haha!).

Good luck!

Can't off too much on the subject, but my Morgan Rose signature snare came with the 42 wire set and I love it.

Back