Should I be worried? **Large Pics**

UnionCraig

First post. I'm reaching out for some help so hopefully I'm in the right place.

I just purchased a Mapex Blaster kit. First acoustic drum set in almost 10 years and way nicer than any drums I've owned previously. I love it.

2 nights ago I was changing heads on all of them and saw a crack in the walnut hoop on the inside of the 12" tom.

12x9ReinforcementRing-1.jpg

I called the dealer I got the kit from this afternoon and they've been good so far. I'm bringing the drum in tomorrow so they can send it away for replacement or repair, though I am out of a drum for the time being.

I checked the rest of the shells out more thoroughly tonight to make sure that was the only thing wrong with this otherwise beautiful drum kit. and came across this on the 10" tom's top bearing edge.

Bearing.jpg

It kind of looks like it's delaminating already and it's rough to the touch. If you found this on your drums would you have it addressed along with the 12" tom and be out 2 toms until it was sorted out?

Here they are set up. They sound great.

DrumKitFinish-1.jpg

DrumKitTop-1.jpg

I'd definitively bring it along. Those are top dollar tubs, shouldn't be anything less than perfect. Remember you're not inconveniencing them, they're inconveniencing you for you having to do this in the first place.

I would definitely go without a couple of toms for a while if it meant getting a problem fixed. If you have another snare, stick that in the rack tom position and turn off the wires and tune it to where you like. Or leave the wires on, that makes for some interesting fills :)

This is why everyone needs to check their drums as soon as they bring them home. Those drums have to me taken back immediately to the store you purchased from. The sooner the better, because they are not making the Blaster anymore. That is completely unacceptable. Did you check your bass drum yet? Make sure it is ok first. Sorry to see this happen to you.

This is why everyone needs to check their drums as soon as they bring them home. Those drums have to me taken back immediately to the store you purchased from. The sooner the better, because they are not making the Blaster anymore. That is completely unacceptable. Did you check your bass drum yet? Make sure it is ok first. Sorry to see this happen to you.

As stated previously, I'm taking the shell(s) in to the dealer today. I checked the rest of the kit out and it all looks good with the exception of those two toms.

Are these common problems or did I get a Monday drum kit?

As stated previously, I'm taking the shell(s) in to the dealer today. I checked the rest of the kit out and it all looks good with the exception of those two toms.

Are these common problems or did I get a Monday drum kit?
I have 38 Mapex drum shells in my basement, and not one of them has a bad bearing edge on it. Mapex is actually know for very nice and smooth bearing edges. You can almost cut your finger on my Saturn's.

The fact that one is cracked, might lead one to believe it was mis handled. Not by you, but someone along the way.

I have 38 Mapex drum shells in my basement, and not one of them has a bad bearing edge on it. Mapex is actually know for very nice and smooth bearing edges. You can almost cut your finger on my Saturn's.

The fact that one is cracked, might lead one to believe it was mis handled. Not by you, but someone along the way.

What about the rough, delaminating bearing edge on the 10"? Is that a manufacturing defect or can mis handling produce those results?

What about the rough, delaminating bearing edge on the 10"? Is that a manufacturing defect or can mis handling produce those results?
That looks like it is from the factory, which really surprises me. That is pretty obvious for someone to miss though.

That looks like it is from the factory, which really surprises me. That is pretty obvious for someone to miss though.

What about this? This is the bearing edge of the 14" floor tom. It's smooth(ish) but it looks like a chip was filled and then finished. Is this normal?

FloorTomBearing.jpg

Thanks for the help and advice.

I'm pretty disappointed as I was looking forward to a lot of playing in the coming weeks as my work is slow. Looks like I'll be waiting a while before I'm up and running again.

If this was you, would you be asking for further compensation than just the repair or replacement of your shells?

Indeed. Take all of the drums back and start over. Let them know in a polite way that this is unacceptable. If you let it go you start them thinking it's ok. It certainly should not be ok. I have seen filler before on drum edges but not on any I have bought. I wouldn't. Thats me.

So it looks like Mapex and the dealer are doing right by me. I brought the questionable drums in yesterday and the shop agreed that they had some defects. Mapex has been contacted and my drums are going back to them today for repair or replacement.

I'll let you all know how it goes once I get them back.

Thanks again for the help. This forum is fantastic.

-C

So it looks like Mapex and the dealer are doing right by me. I brought the questionable drums in yesterday and the shop agreed that they had some defects. Mapex has been contacted and my drums are going back to them today for repair or replacement.

I'll let you all know how it goes once I get them back.

Thanks again for the help. This forum is fantastic.

-C
Hey buddy. Make sure you go and read the thread I just posted about "Mapex Came Though" Should help you feel good. :)

Back