Dave Grohl

Personally I think Dave Grohl is vastly under rated by many drummers due to the simplicity of his playing with Nirvana. To me it just shows he didn't feel the need to show off.
But if you go back a listen to nevermind listen to how tight and powerful the drums are. He also has the timing of a metronome.
For anyone who doesn't think he has chops listen to the Queens of the Stone Age album songs for the deaf. Some of the drumming on it is mind blowing but he still always plays exactly whats right.

Last edited by a moderator:
his playing on songs for the deaf is the madres cojones as far as i'm concerned. I really love playing that album, its just the right level of difficulty that you can play and have fun with it.

He was one of my first inspirations when I started drumming. He's got a good style, and it was perfect for Nirvana. He's very humble, not egotistical at all. He's a great drummer and guitarist.

Dave is a beast. He is a very influencial rock drummer. Also I have to disagree with Rendevous drummer about him being the only good thing about Nirvana. I rather enjoy the simplicity of the guitar, bass, and lyrics of Nirvana. I think Kurt had something to say in his lyrics. Also I hate to get off topic, But The drummer Joey Castillo of Queens of the Stoneage is a pretty sick drummer. Their other albums are a lot better than the songs for the Deaf album. I find Joey Castiilo has a better pocket than Dave on alot of songs, just an observation.

i agree with superlow with the nirvana thing, im into the whole "grunge" era and nirvana were good (though not technically advanced or anything).
anyway, imo dave grohl's got great power and though he may not that technical, he probably influenced a million drummers in the world.

his kit is HUGE. a 15" rack tom and an 18" floor tom!

i always wish i could see him doing solos.

also the guy's got a great sense of humour, and according to lemmy he's the 'nicest guy in the business'

HardRockDrummer said:
i agree with superlow with the nirvana thing, im into the whole "grunge" era and nirvana were good (though not technically advanced or anything).
anyway, imo dave grohl's got great power and though he may not that technical, he probably influenced a million drummers in the world.

his kit is HUGE. a 15" rack tom and an 18" floor tom!

i always wish i could see him doing solos.

also the guy's got a great sense of humour, and according to lemmy he's the 'nicest guy in the business'

Many years ago I had a bootleg of Dave Grohl doing a solo at a Nirvana live show, at the time I thought it was amazing. But then, I was about fifteen at the time...

I never understood why that Muddy Banks of the Wishkah album was so lame though, the bootleg I had was much tighter than most of the songs on there and had a lot more energy.

Superlow said:
Dave is a beast. He is a very influencial rock drummer. Also I have to disagree with Rendevous drummer about him being the only good thing about Nirvana. I rather enjoy the simplicity of the guitar, bass, and lyrics of Nirvana. I think Kurt had something to say in his lyrics. Also I hate to get off topic, But The drummer Joey Castillo of Queens of the Stoneage is a pretty sick drummer. Their other albums are a lot better than the songs for the Deaf album. I find Joey Castiilo has a better pocket than Dave on alot of songs, just an observation.

Dude, Joey castillo is "THE MAN"! seriously, he is one of my favorite drummers. Just so happens to turn out my set up it like his. Both are great drummers. But its all good.

I wouldn't say that Dave Grohl was the ONLY good thing that came out of Nirvana. I think Nirvana was an amazing band, with their own original and groundbreaking sound.
Dave's drumming on their records may have sounded "simple" but the power and intensity that comes out of his playing is unbelievable. After watching some live Nirvana footage you can just see how much heart he puts into his playing.

In Queens of the Stone Age, Dave Grohl takes the same intensity that he had when he was younger with Nirvana and makes things a bit more interesting, as seen in songs such as "No One Knows."
Personally I give Dave Grohl props for his crazy intensity and amazing rock solid time.

With Queens of the stone age he did a great job, but Nirvana..............I can't hear them anymore..........it's just annoying.

Did anyone read the Modern Drummer when he was on the cover? I get the feeling he is very humble, and just kinda defaulted onto drums. Hey which one of you guitar players wants to play drums!

Although he doesn't play anything amazingly difficult or mind-blowing and technical, he "gets it" about drumming. Its solid, it sounds good and it fits the music.

I like the Modern Drummer part where he said he doesn't play double pedals because his left foot is retarded. I think my foot rode the same short bus with his.

Stu

Stu_Strib said:
I like the Modern Drummer part where he said he doesn't play double pedals because his left foot is retarded. I think my foot rode the same short bus with his.

*dies of laughter*

....<---to make up for the 20 characters we "have" to use

spacebeat3117 said:
This man is my hero. listen to Nine inch Nails "With Teeth" Grohl takes that album to another level in my opinion.

You have to remember tho man, they are nine inch nails, they use heaps of sequencing and other editing techniques to get some of the drum parts so NIN is not totally accurate. I'm not a huge fan of Dave, i always go back to the Nirvana days, especially in the Teen spirit film clip and it just turns me off him.

Dave Grohl is amazing I really got into his drumming when Queens of the stone age made there album Songs for the deaf Josh Homme who is a drummer himself has jammed with many many drummers but he says Dave Grohl is the best drummer hes ever played with before Nick the bands old bassist also said he was the best drummer hes ever played with but as soon as Dave left Joey Castillo came along and man he is also an amazing drummer I like these drummers because they don't show off as much

spacebeat3117 said:
This man is my hero. listen to Nine inch Nails "With Teeth" Grohl takes that album to another level in my opinion.

White Teeth is great, NIN fell of the planet and the came back with a pretty amazing album. The second track is very heavy on that. Very angry. Also I enjoy Daves work on Tenacious D's album. Those guys are hilarious... Even though it is very silly joking music Jack Black and Dave Grohl kick a lot of ass on that record.

(my 2 cents) dave is great. i so want i kit as big (and as small) as his..great sound.

interesting side note that you may or may not be interested in - most of the songs written for the 1st foo fighters album (i'm not really a fan, but good pop music...) where written by dave before he was in nirvana...

...and no way was he the best thing about nirvana...like all good bands - they where a sum of the parts....

I like Dave Grohl a lot. I think his drumming is simple, but is perfect with the music. His rhythm and timing is great. I dunno' if that was a drum machine or Dave Grohl though on the Nirvana stuff. I guess I should check out Queens of the Stoneage, since that's what everyone seems to be talking about. Also, I like his lyric-writing with Foo Fighters, and I like pretty much everything else he played with aswell.

I remember reading an old modern drummer issue years back when someone "gripped" at the notion of Dave Grohl being on the cover....Dave is actually a very competent drummer and over all musician...he has the ability to lay down some seriously heavy beats and never once does he step over his boundries in a song writing context...for all the "ney-sayers" out there just listen to "Everlong" or some of the QOTSA stuff or any Nirvana stuff...the guy can sing, play guitar, and is asked to play drums for just about everyone out there.... including Tom Petty......hats off to ya Dave!

Back