Video - Gretsch Catalina Jazz and Avedis Zildjian Box Cymbal Set

SgtThump

Platinum Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2a_W8n6Z30

I've been using a 20" K Ride, 18" A Custom Fast Crash, 20" A Custom Crash", and 14" A Custom hi-hats. Great sounding combo! (especially the K Ride!)

I wanted to have a whole other set of cymbals to keep two kits setup most of the time, so I just bought this A. Zildjian cymbal pack with a 21" Sweet Ride, 16" and 18" Fast Crashes, and 14" New Beat hi-hats.

Since they were in a box, I didn't get to try them out in the store. I hated that and was worried. Turns out I really like the sound of the New Beat hi-hats and Fast Crashes! The jury is still out on the Sweet Ride for this style of hard rock playing. It has ALOT more wash than I'm used to with my K Ride.

I'd love to hear your opinions on that!

Also, just try to tell me I don't have this Gretsch kit dialed in killer for hard rock. You can't! I love it!

Well Sarge,

You've made some really good choices there. I too have a GCJ in the WMP wrap though and I am very happy with the sound I can get out of it with lower tunings.

Anyway, I have the 18 A Fast crash and it's a very nice sounding cymbal. It can get lost in a loud mix but if you already the the AC Fast crash then you know what I mean. Depending on your sound reinforcement scenario, it might not matter. I don't have the the 16 A Fast crash but I have a 16 A Thin and they're similar. Good stuff.

If you're K ride is pingier and less washy than the Sweet, then you have the best of both worlds there. You can rock the hell out of that Sweet ride and the wash is pretty reasonable. It also makes for a great sounding huge crash.

Taylor Hawkins plays the Sweet so just check out some Foo Fighters and you'll see that it makes a good rock ride.

Your 18 AC Fast crash and the A FC also will pair up nicely.

If I may ask, how much did you score that cymbal pack for?

Hey TTNW, thanks for the reply!

The cymbal pack sells for $649 and I got Guitar Center to give me 10% off. These packages they have are really price nicely. Heck, that Sweet Ride alone is like $280.

I didn't realize Taylor Hawkins used a Sweet Ride. I'll have to check out some videos!

Back