Premier New Era 28" Bass Drum

F

Fishgopop007

Okay guys here we go! Today I picked up my 28" bass drum from my local town for the grand sum of £25. Here is what's not included:

. One wood hoop
. Decent drum heads

Now then, my aim with this drum is to strip all the parts, clean it all up, sand the shell and then stain it. It was cheap and I thought heck! It gives me something unique to practice a colour or wood stain on! I found a hoop on ebay for about £10 including P+P, so here are some pictures!

1) The bass drum with the wrecked reso head.

2) The inside of the shell and the side with the missing rim.

3) The bass drum compared to my 22" bass drum which looks tiny!

So yeah, wish me luck guys! :)

George.

Attachments

• Bass drum.jpg
    Bass drum.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 676
  • Bass drum 2.jpg
    Bass drum 2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 649
  • P1130138.JPG
    P1130138.JPG
    450.6 KB · Views: 715
*GASP!* Could it be? Two of my favorite things together in one thread? A restoration thread aaaand a big ol' bass drum. Well this is just about as good as threads get for me.

Please keep us posted with pictures and descriptions of the process so that I may live vicariously through your purchase till I have the extra coin for a giant kicker of my own.

What are your plans for the completed kick? Gonna add it to your existing setup or build a new kit around it? Gonna keep the existing single point lugs or add new ones? Ideas for head choice yet?

Ok, that's enough pestering for now. Congrats on you wonderful new purchase.

Cool project. Looks like a mahogany shell. If it is, you can go darker with stain, but you can't go lighter. If you decide to paint it, you'll need to seal the wood first. Mahogany is very porous, and most old mahogany shells were either left mahogany (in color) or wrapped. In order to get a nice, smooth paint finish, you'll probably want to prime the shell (once it's sealed).​

*GASP!* Could it be? Two of my favorite things together in one thread? A restoration thread aaaand a big ol' bass drum. Well this is just about as good as threads get for me.

Please keep us posted with pictures and descriptions of the process so that I may live vicariously through your purchase till I have the extra coin for a giant kicker of my own.

What are your plans for the completed kick? Gonna add it to your existing setup or build a new kit around it? Gonna keep the existing single point lugs or add new ones? Ideas for head choice yet?

Ok, that's enough pestering for now. Congrats on you wonderful new purchase.

Haha! It's an attempt at a restoration project, hopefully it'll go alright! Like I said I picked this beast up off of a guy for £25, he bought it himself for a restoration project but sold it on as cash was needed. I'm tempted to go for the Stanton Moore effect one day, he uses a 28" kick to the side occasionally. But probably on recordings are where it will be used most for the meantime! I might try and source some other old interesting drums to add to it one day in the future. Going to keep the single point lugs for sure! For heads I'm thinking A Remo PS3 batter and a Remo Fiberskyn Reso. Phew! All answered! :)

Cool project. Looks like a mahogany shell. If it is, you can go darker with stain, but you can't go lighter. If you decide to paint it, you'll need to seal the wood first. Mahogany is very porous, and most old mahogany shells were either left mahogany (in color) or wrapped. In order to get a nice, smooth paint finish, you'll probably want to prime the shell (once it's sealed).​

This is indeed a mahogony shell, although there are some birch re-rings on it by the looks of it. But thanks for that info Harry! I'm not really in the position to paint it. So I'll probably leave it as it is but put some form of wood protector over the top? I'd appreciate it if you could PM with some ideas on that if possible :)

Thanks for the interest,
George

I'll just post here, so there's no secrets ...​
Two products I use ... not to say what I use is "the best" or anything, but I like the results ...​
To just "rejuvenate" old wood, I like Howards Feed-N-Wax.​
For an actual "protection" type clear coat ... Minwax Polycrylic spray.​

Attachments

• howards wax.jpg
    howards wax.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 526
  • minwax poly.jpg
    minwax poly.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 566
Back